Friday, February 2

Quotes near to my heart

I collect quotes. Seriously, I have no idea why, but I do. I even signed up for a daily email that contains quotes, and I copy out what I want. I suppose at one time I wanted to create some sort of tagline randomizer for e-mail and use them. I dunno. What matters is I have quite a few, and I think I shall share some today.

- On Drinking

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me. - Winston Churchill


The best audience is intelligent, well-educated, and a little drunk. - Alben William Barkley, 1877 - 1956

The hard part about being a bartender is figuring out who is drunk and who is just stupid. - Richard Braunstein

- On Whiskey

Great fury, like great whiskey, requires long fermentation. - Truman Capote, 1924 - 1984

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

As a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey. - Thomas Alva Edison, 1847 - 1931

- On Reading

Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.- Benjamin Franklin, 1706 - 1790

Language is the soul of intellect, and reading is the essential process by which that intellect is cultivated beyond the commonplace experiences of everyday life.- Charles Scribner, Jr.

The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination.- Elizabeth Hardwick

Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman, but believing what he read made him mad.- George Bernard Shaw, 1856 - 1950

No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting.- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu

Reading is a luxury in the same way that eating and breathing are.- G. Armour Van Horn

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - T.S. Eliot

We know too much, and are convinced of too little. Our literature is a substitute for religion, and so is our religion.- T. S. Eliot, 1888 - 1965

- Different quotes I liked

Substitute damn every time you're inclined to write very; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be. - Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

So far, about morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after. -Ernest Hemingway, 1899 – 1961

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - Henry Lewis Mencken, 1880 - 1956

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. - Bern Williams

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Well, hoped you enjoyed some of these as much as I. Feel free to clip and save as you wish. I am out of here for the time being.

PeacE

No comments: