Saturday, September 24

While the Wife Is Away ....

The Wife left this morning for Tucson, to spend the weekend with our daughter. A little trip both the daughter and I encouraged her to do. I think the time away from "near home" and alone time with the daughter, will be good for her to sort of recharge a bit. I'm glad the daughter thought it up, and helped me push the Wife towards to doing it. I think this morning she was actually excited about going.

So she is gone, and I have all three boys (13, 9, and 5) at home. I also have a garbage disposal replacement to take care of over the two day period. No big deal. Of course, those are semi-famous last words.

I had noticed earlier this week, that in replacing the disposal, there was a leak along the 'drain sleeve' that I was hoping to not have to worry about replacing. Okay, so now I needed some extra stuff from Lowe's (plumber putty). I picked that up yesterday. I know have all tools and stuff I am pretty sure of needing.

I get down in there today, unhook all the piping work that needed, loosened up the bolts for the drain sleeve...popped it out. Started cleaning the previous (and now pretty much non-existent) layer of plumber putty; only to discover a hole. No, not the drain hole, silly! On the metal through the edge about an 1/8th-inch in size. No way is simple putty going to not leak through a hole like that, at the juncture that the seal meets the area where water is to be. Sigh. So, another trip to Lowes today to get some stuff called WaterWeld (like JB Weld) that they said should work for that environment. I am waiting another half hour for it to set up so I can see if it hardened up good enough to finish the install tomorrow.

Hopefully, it will be ready to finish, and I will be able to do so. Shouldn't be anything unexpected now, unless something electrical happens I think. Yes, I know, I just cursed that part, too.

PeacE

No comments: