Thursday, August 20

So Not Happy

 This last week has not been fun.

Last Thursday we had gone to RM's for dinner. It isn't far to their new place... maybe 10+plus miles... and dinner was fine. On the way home, we had taken my car, and it started to 'overheat'. nothing dangerous, just temp gauge jumped up, never into the red, but higher than what is good. I have a Charger, and they are known (as well as the Magnums, which I had before) to have issues about the coolant, and being sensitive. I wasn't overly worried, thinking it had been a month plus since I had last checked levels, and in summer her in AZ, you should check more frequently, especially the coolant. I waited a day or two, as I had no driving to do, before checking it. Coolant was low, I couldn't find a leak anywhere, so topped off the coolant, and life went on. Tuesday, the Wife had a flat just a couple miles from her work. I had to drive out to help change it, and on the way back, again I started to overheat. I made it home, but drove most of the way home with windows down, heater on HOT and full fan blowing. Rather warm considering we broke another heat record that day. Now I have a couple spots of "standing fluid" on the engine. I topped off coolant, unable to find a leak still yesterday, and drove it up to Discount Tire (about 2.5 miles away) and coming home it started overheating again. So now am scheduling an appointment where we take our vehicles in for work. I'm guessing it is going to be a leak at the water pump (which is hard to see) and will cost around $1400 to fix (was last time on my Magnum). Sigh.

So, the Wife's tire... ran it up to Discount at around 10am. Dropped it off, said I would come back in a couple hours or so, so they could have time to just work it in. Was to be a plug/fix if possible, if not call me and we will set up to replace. Wife is at work driving on that donut spare. A short while later I get an email saying there is no charge, and the work completion on the tire is set for about 12:30. Around 1'ish I head back up, and come to find out they have not even looked at it yet, I showed them the email, the manager apologizes, and says it will be done by end of day. No biggee, I don't live far. I go home (this is when car overheated again). Before I get home I get a phone notification of email, was Discount again saying a no charge fee for fix, and completion time was now changed to 6:30pm (they close at 6pm - WTF?). At 4:30, I have the Middle Son drive me up in his car, and the tire is "just now" in the shop. They check it, turns out it is a sidewall damage and cannot be repaired, so had to get a new tire (another $156 out the window) and of course, they have none in stock.... and only 1 available from another location locally. Yadda Yadda, can have it there and done by mid-afternoon today. Supposedly. Theoretically. Hopefully.

No updates on the job situation.

Thankfully that economic check finally came, because it is disappearing fast now.

I just got finished reading RM's blog this morning that she posted yesterday. She and PT had gone "up north" for a few days for their anniversary. I guess this will not be going down as one of the better trips. As we all age, we tend to slowly lose the full use of some of our abilities, and I think PT has finally gotten to the point that it is time to remove the ability to drive from his list of things he can do. RM had mentioned there were a few instances on the whole trip that his driving could have put them in danger, or worse, someone else. Back in early July, when RM was moving, I remember spending some time with Sis, and we had a brief talk about when this day would come, and I was informed it is my duty to take PT's keys from him, as she was not getting involved in that one. I guess I need to talk to RM, and decide what might be the best way to do this, and soon. Sigh. Joy, oh Joy.

Deep breath. As I am sure RM will say someone said this all the time... This too shall pass...

PeacE

2 comments:

Rev Mom said...

and 'this too shall pass' - and it was always Grandma Hankins. :-) As for PT's keys.... we will have a fight if we do it now.... it will have to be his decision to let them go. As long as I'm working I can't take him to his breakfasts-at least they are in this part of town. His doctors are still in Phoenix. It will work out... just no more long trips.

Ralphd00d said...

Tomorrow....will be new things. I am just worried about repercussions.