Friday, August 28

Sometimes, I Just Don't Get It

 Yesterday was a pain in my backside. Wednesday, like I posted, got the Middle Son "trained" up how to parallel park. Spent time off and on all afternoon calling the DMV to try to set up an appointment for his road test. "Due to high volume of calls" I could not get through, and the recorded message kept saying to try back at another time. I thought, well, even with all the COVID crap going on, maybe we could just show up at the DMV office and if not do the test then, get an appointment set. I was tired of trying to call.

So yesterday that is what we did. Or rather tried to do. Drove to the location nearest us, and walked in. Then instantly stopped. They were not letting anyone in without an appointment. I explained how I had tried calling many times previously the day before with no luck even getting in a waiting queue. They -didn't care. All they could suggest was trying again starting at 7:59am (they open at 8). Really. So we headed back home. Both of us were feeling pretty frustrated regarding the issues trying to get this done.

Back home, about twenty minutes go by, I decide I will try to call. I already had told Son that he needs to also be trying to call off and on through the day to help get this done. On the first try, I made it into the waiting queue. Ended up on hold for almost an hour, and once someone was on the line, had an appointment for Monday 8:30am for his road test. Setting the appointment took less than 5 minutes. So basically a day and a half wasted trying to set this appointment. Government at its best. Sigh.

Good part is, we can move forward on this journey. Monday he'll pass the test, get his license. I'll be spending money adding him to the insurance policy, with raising the coverage limits per some new AZ law passed this past July. At least we already have a car for him, and don't have to try to find funds or a vehicle for him. I'm just mentally tired from this journey ... and so many other things this year, with the limitations that have been in place due to "everything".

My buddy J had called me mid-afternoon yesterday, mentioning that our favorite pub was re-opening. I guess they fell in the 'moderate' range in the business re-opening guidelines that the AZ government had set. My buddy was planning to be up there around 5, and asked if I was going. I had not heard about them opening, so I said I wasn't sure, but a short while after getting off the phone, I decided to go. I went to leave home, and my car wouldn't start.

I had just had it in this last week for the coolant leak. I had driven it Wednesday night with no issues. Thursday afternoon it would crank, but not catch - like it wasn't getting gas, or the spark plugs weren't firing. I tried for around 10 minutes with no luck. I did an Uber up to the pub, and knew I would be spending today dealing with the car. I walked out this morning, gave it a couple cranks, and it started. First couple times was like it was trying to get some gas, and by the third try, it caught. I turned it off and restarted it a a handful of times, checking to be sure it wasn't a fluke. Everything seems ok. I was worried that I would be calling a tow service to take it up the road to the car shop to have them look at it again.... and possibly being without a vehicle through the weekend. Would have to call RM and reschedule our lunch. But things seemingly have worked out that it is not an issue.

Just feels weird that I "apply" myself to getting something done, and nothing works right.... then BAM! after I give up, everything "falls into place". I wish this worked more often this way. I'd be working by now. the other house would be sold. I'd have the nicest looking yard in the neighborhood and people would drive by jealous of our nice cars. Okay. I was daydreaming a little there.....

It's Friday. I think I am going to go to the pub today for a bit. See some more friends. Read a bit more from my books. I'm at 127 of my 175 goal for the year, so am a bit ahead of schedule. Tomorrow I found a place near RM for lunch we will try. It'll be a first for her (I hope) as it is near her house, that maybe could be a place they can go to. Either way it will be nice to have some one on one time with Mom.

That's all I got today. hopefully nothing else will go wrong today.

PeacE


No comments: