Thursday, September 28

Homecoming Shenanigans

 At the end of the Youngest's sophomore year, the band director of the school announced that he was leaving. Now this obviously was not the first time the director has changed in the many years of my kids attending this high school, so this kind of change to a new director's type of management, etc, would not be unheard of. The new director started that fall, and not many changes were initiated over the 'tried and true' settings that had been followed by several directors before her. Yes, it is a female, and barely out of college. I don't have a problem with the sex of the director, but I do have a problem.

This year, Youngest's senior year, this director has just changed everything. Band used to be at Zero Hour (before school) but this year, she requires only half the band attend that hour, so the Youngest had to give up one of his electives to be forced to schedule a band hour during the day. He is a percussionist, and that hour has ALL percussion of all levels in one class - Jazz, Advanced, Intermediate, and Beginning band. So how are they to practice? Oh, let's add in the outrageous practices this director has scheduled... Used to be just a Tuesday night, 6-8pm, aside from the mornings. No, now it is Tuesday and Thursday each week. Plus this week, she has called Zero Hour for full band today and tomorrow (like two extra practices are going to make the show come together). There is a whole slew of things that this director has changed that just really irritate me, and even sometimes the Wife. I do like that she sends out a weekly email each Monday, highlighting details of information for the week, and upcoming things, but then she ruins it by color coding the events - with no key to know what color is mandatory, optional, or what. For example, the newletter states there is zero hour practice today for full band (highlighted in blue, so blue is mandatory), but under that is the Homecoming Bonfire at 6pm (highlighted orange - so not mandatory?) but the band typically plays at the bonfire.... Tomorrow, zero hour full band (in blue) HOCO parade and assembly (in orange - during the school day? IS the band not playing the fight song or something at the assembly?) with the Friday night HOCO game in blue (again mandatory).

It is frustrating. Now worse, as I am looking at the newsletter, I missed reading before, but now she is changing the practice schedule again - Mandatory Tues nights 6-8, mandatory zero hour Thursdays and Fridays, Optional Thursday night practice (small group/individual practice). WTH?! IT says "In order to support our students’ time management, stress levels, and mental health; we are changing our Full Ensemble marching band rehearsal schedule for the rest of the season".... I think she is making things worse, not just more for the student to lose sleep and stress over, but parents as well. Who has to get up early to drive them on zero hour days? Who has to waste the time for night practices to drive/pick-up? Just ... she really upsets me.

And now I am all worked up about this crap ... at 3:30 in the morning. Looks like I will be up and taking the Youngest to zero hour today, as I am sure sleep will not be coming whilst I am angry.

So the HOCO dance is Saturday, and I guess we are chauffeuring the Youngest and his date. I don't mind, as I am the one that offered, thinking it would give us a little more time to get to know the young lady. I only had just met her last week at that stupid mandatory school meeting. I guess he wants to do dinner before the dance, so they chose Olive Garden, which I am guessing we will be going with them, since we're driving, and that means I will be paying I am sure. No biggee - more time. Then her mother will drive them home afterwards (she's a teacher at the school and is chaperoning).

Welp, this post is longer than I meant for it to be - I guess I had quite a bit to gripe about. I still have more, but just don't want to think about it right now.

PeacE

No comments: