Friday, April 17

Pulling A Late One

It's just after midnight here in desert country, and I am still pretty wide awake. Was up at a decent time to get the Youngest to the hospital for his procedure. Spent most of the morning and into early afternoon there. Good news is they were able to re-break his radius, and use two 'external' pins. He will be getting a cast again in about a week or so, for the next 4-6 weeks. At that time, they say everything should be good, remove the cast and pull out the pins. I hope so. It has been a tad expensive, even with insurance. Best part is he is feeling good considering he is only 14, and has not even taken any of the pain med prescription the Dr. called in. We did pick it up (cheapest thing of this whole arm break - $1.60 for 3 days worth), but he settled for regular tylenol. So the pain isn't that bad. Proud of him today.

The Oldest Son texted me late tonight. Which was kind of weird. I really haven't heard from him much since he moved out last November. I mean, family dinner out with us a couple times, but he doesn't stop by or just call and chat with either The Wife or myself. I figure mostly because he works nights, and sleeps during the day. When he wants to call/visit, we are in bed, etc. He got a promotion a week or so ago, and his hours change to days starting this next week. Not the M-F he has been working nights, and not a set hour shift, but it is days... and more money, and more responsibility. I told him to call or stop by this weekend... so maybe he will.

The Middle Son has been hanging out with me quite a bit. We have been sitting in the office/study playing Warcraft off and on through the day. It is nice to hang and kinda chat a bit while we are doing things in-game. He has been helping a lot around the house of late, and I really appreciate that. Helps me get yard work down, when my knees and back have started to hurt. We are planning to go over to the old house this weekend and do the yard over there this weekend. I am not looking forward to that workout.

The Daughter and family are doing okay. I've chatted with her and Doodad a couple times recently. The SIL has been working from home, so they have all been together through this. No issues on needed items. Doodad obviously doesn't notice anything different... other than her Daddy being home more maybe. She turns three on the 19th. I wish we could be there... and I have even thought of maybe going down for the day. I think I may talk to the Wife and see what she thinks. Won't be able to go out to celebrate, but it would be nice to be there. Though, I bought her birthday gift from Papaw just the other day, and with delays in shipping (even Amazon Prime) it won't be here until next week supposedly.

I don't know if RM's talking about 'cleaning/clearing house' has gotten in my head, but I have been a bit surprised at myself lately. The past few days I have been cleaning up my home office desk by going through stacks of notes/paperwork to see what they were, why I held on to them, do I still keep or not.... I never realized how many notes I make about things from Facebook, or other websites/blogs/radio shows, etc of stuff I want to follow up on. Most of the notes seem to be authors/titles of books I want to look into, or movie titles I want to follow up on to see if they are going to be interesting, or to add to the queue on Netflix. Some notes have ideas for writing. I think I tossed most of those as dumb things,,,, just because I did. There is a stack of crossword mailings that my MIL has bought me a subscription for, for Christmas over the last few years, including the one before last (her last one). There is about 5 puzzles in each month mailing, and I don't take the time to do them much, even though I do love crossword puzzles. In one drawer I have probably 30 plus of these mailings. I get one out every now and then to work the puzzles when I am watching some netflix.

I now have a stack of five, yes five, notebooks, pads of paper, all of different size and type, that have specific "note-taking purposes". Completely asinine, truly. but it is how I keep things sorted. One little spiral notebook for log-ins and passwords at various websites - not only so if I forget, but in case something were to happen to me. One regular college composition pad for listing Authors that I liked their book series, or stand-alones, so I can keep a list handy when watching out for new/recent releases, and to keep up with additional books in a series, etc. A steno-pad I use for notes on my Warcraft game... where and what to do for a certain in-game piece or mount or pet I want to "farm" and work towards getting. Which of my characters have more reputation with what faction... things I need to read more in-depth about to figure out how much material/effort to complete. Stuff that only another gamer would understand. Mixed in with all them wildly scratched chicken-markings are notes I jotted when a call comes in while I am in-game dungeon or raid and just can't stop to write a proper note. Flipping through it right now I see more notes for book stuff, too.

There is still a small stack loose paper containing hieroglyphics to decipher. I'll probably go through them tomorrow morning... rather later this morning. They will get transposed into whatever notebook it belongs, and those that don't belong, will hit the recycle. I think I have decent handwriting. In this I refer to the use of cursive writing ... the new 'Old Peoples' code from the younger crowd. Generally I print more than write, and my printing is pretty decent I think. The Wife always makes me sign cards, or address anything we actually send snail mail, just because she likes my writing better.  I came across an offer online today for a nibbed ink pen. they are about $25 each, with a special for order 3, get at the price of 2... and I almost did it. there's something about writing with nibbed pens that always impressed me, and whenever I used one in the past, it just slows me down ... like writing with one is an art-form, and it feels/looks that way to me once it is finished.

Well, this is much longer than I thought it would be. I was just looking for a short, late-night post to cover for tomorrow (today). I don't know if I am just loopy in my head tonight, or just letting thoughts go 'free flow'. As any of you that read here can probably tell, I usually don't go back and proof-read my posts (for spelling/grammatical errors, etc) just because I just write here how I feel, and how the thought comes to me. But tonight, and free-floating as I have been, I better do a quick read-through to make sure I didn't share something I shouldn't.

PeacE

EDIT: No changes were made after a read-through. Dang, I'm proud of myself!

2 comments:

Rev Mom said...

Good job - and thanks for all the updates! I did text your oldest son last week and he told me about the promotion. Awesome! Proud of him.

Joe said...

My youngest son had a similar break when he was in middle school.