Wednesday, April 8

Give It Away, Give It Away, Give It Away, Now!

I have never been able to stand the music from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but this song title of theirs was just a good post title for today.

Taking it, giving it, donating it, gifting it, throwing it (away) .... I am sure there is going to be quite a bit of that going on over the course of the next few weeks.

 Reverend Mother brought it up on her blog (again, over there on the right-side ------>). Basically, she mentioned about going through the years of accumulation of items that many of have to some degree. It doesn't really matter the reason, though some are better than others: boredom, death of the person, down-sizing/moving. To share a bit personally, and I am not bitching, but RM has been saying she is going to work on it ... for years. Yes RM, I can see you shaking your head in agreement.

The need to "clean it out" has never been more seen than on a "forced" home-stay for many people. Yes, that includes my hoarder with the mostest, The Wife. Let me give you some of my crappy scenario. To start, we are still moving from one house to a new house ... for the past year basically. It has been a struggle, for me more than most (I feel). One of the biggest, time consuming issues has been "going through stuff". We had inherited the MIL's house after her death last year. Nice. It is mortgage-free, larger than our current home, The Wife's childhood home... so we decided to move there. It's only about a half mile from where we lived, bear in mind.

Have you ever tried to quickly move into a home, that still has everything that previous owner has amassed over the previous 40 + years still in it? Yeah, there is no room for your stuff, until you get their stuff out of the way. Forty plus years of it... and hoarding. It was bad... and still is a bit. The Wife would not let me help go through things to get rid of, as I wouldn't know if they had personal value to her or her brothers. I think a box marked "misc lids with no bowls" and it truly is that when opened, is a pretty good sign to get rid off. but let me back off that part of the topic.. it gets me infuriated.

Going through things. Sunday night The Wife mentioned to me that our 'bulk trash' pick up was coming up soon and we could start setting it out street-side in two weeks. She continued on that there was quite a bit this time around (meaning she got into some of the storage her Mom had, and got through the junk). She also mentioned she couldn't get much farther into the storage stuff, because she had at least 10 large garbage bags of clothes that needed to go to Goodwill. But she can't take them because they are closed, so she has to store them until stores are allowed to open again (talk about a catch-22). The good news is, even the The Wife has been able to get through things to throw away, or donate. Last night she even mentioned she had found a bit of her maternity clothes (they are so going to be out of fashion) that she is going through for a family member that is pregnant. So she is giving away stuff, too!

So, The Wife has gone through quite a bit since this all started. RM is talking about it, and trying to figure out where to start. I don't have anything to go through (I do this all the time). I'm just happy if we clear out enough space so we can get the rest of the hoarder mess from the old place here, and sell the old place.

PeacE

No comments: