Wednesday, August 15

Just when I thought things couldn't get better ...

Y'all have heard me whine and moan about how slow things are at work; how I do nothing most of the day but read and surf the 'net. An event has happened today that is taking that all away from me. The sad part is, I don't know if I should be happy or not. Tell me what you think...

I was called into the branch owner's office about an hour ago. Got the "Close the door for a minute", and the cold sweat started down my back. "We (makes him sound bigger I guess) want to hear from you how things are going in Processing."

Oh, the loaded question. They aren't starting with the small stuff. Now the wheels of my mind are trying to figure out what they might be leading up towards - pay increase? Doubtful. Job termination? Possible. Reprimand? Possible. Just wanting information? Possible, but unusual. I am worried now, but I can only play the way I am given the openings for. I explained a few frustrations that are occurring, and we tossed about some explanations, or possible reasons these factors are causing irritation and delay.

Finally we get to the crux of the discussion. Seems the Sr. Processor has turned in his 2 week notice. I am being promoted to his position, and will be the only processor for the company, until either I decide to leave, be terminated or business picks up so much that I cannot handle the load alone. Now I could relax a bit ... and we talked more about the transition from two to one processor, which is happening tomorrow morning, and the Sr. processor will be let go on Friday.

PROMOTION! After doing this job for 7-8 years, I finally become a SR Processor. No pay increase, but my non-existent at the moment job load has doubled, which means my payroll will increase because I am closing twice as many loans. Damn! That's something to be happy about! And here I am sharing it with you first - the Wife has not been told yet! Of course, I couldn't reach her when I tried calling....

So here's the sort of sad part. The Sr. Processor is a friend of mine. We've known each other for 12 years, and he was the one that got me the job in the first place. I'll still see him outside work occasionally, but we had a great working relationship. He has been offered a position at another place that he could not refuse - at least he wasn't actively searching for a new job. So in a way, I guess it isn't THAT sad overall. He's going somewhere that he should have better pay, and I will be making more, plus the title change.

Sometimes, life surprises the hell out of me and treats me really good. I think tonight I will go out and celebrate! Good night to maybe take the cab out instead of driving.... yeah. Good idea! Y'all raise a toast for me tonight if yer out and about!

PeacE

No comments: