Monday, April 5

Floating on the River

 Out here in the desert, we have a place called Salt River Recreation, located out near one of the Indian reservations just over on the east side of the Valley. It allows you to rent out inner tubes, them provides travel by bus t/from different stops along the Salt River. This is always a big hit in the 100+ degree summers here. I have gone a few times, usually ending up burnt like a lobster (thank you Irish heritage for fair skin) but always had fun. The floating part is fun, with a few "rapids" here and there to keep it moving. 

Currently, my job is sort of feeling that way. Friday I was told to log out earlier in the afternoon. Supposedly there wasn't much left for QC to go over, and we had reached our end in the project. I will be login in this morning to verify we are done, but then I am afloat again. Just waiting until the next project I get selected for, to come along. Work is like the rapids - it comes along and I am busy, then goes away and I just float.

There are lots of things to do when I am not busy with work. One of recent note is the backyard. The neighbor and us had decide to split the cost of putting a cement block fence between our yards. Beats the old wooden plank fencing, that is seriously falling apart and needs replacing. In fact, part of it is being held up by some twine and strategic tying onto other things. Neighbor had found a company, and our half of the price is good. We need to move things at least 4 feet from he fence-line though. There were a couple stacks of 'shelved' wood pieces (from back when In-Laws lived here) that we moved. One of the things is a miniature log cabin. One of the BILs had brought the material down, and built this in the back for the grandkids to play in. Big enough you could fit maybe three 6 year olds in it, with a small door and window. But it sits against the fence. It has been in place many years, and personally, I'm all for trashing it. Of course, the Wife doesn't want to. So how to move it? Dismantle, then re-build it after the fence is up? Will it dismantle easily, or fall apart because the weathered wood? I am nervous to find out, and think I may just wait for the Wife to start taking it apart. then see if it breaks or not.

Almost time for me to log in and check on work status. 

With the switch in car insurance companies, this new one has an added discount if we put their app on our phones for 90 days. We are talking about around a $150 discount. Everyone is pushing back on me. The idea of being monitored by 'Big Brother' has everyone in a hissy. I loaded the app the other day, and took a drive. I sped. Seriously, I drove about 5-10 mph over the posted speed. When I reached my destination, I checked the app, confirmed it was me driving, and got a 'great' rating. On the way home, I did a 'hard brake' as I came up to a red light - on purpose. Again, once I confirmed my trip, I got an 'okay' rating. What's so bad about having this for 90 days to save $150?? They have a limited time to get the app onto their phones to get the discount. Guess I will be hounding them about it. Overall, I think it would force them all to drive a bit safer - and in my opinion, all of them could use it. But then, I have been told countless times that I drive like "an old man". Is that bad?

Welp, I guess I should get the inner tube and make sure it is inflated to a proper level to support me. As you can figure, a guy my size, I have one of the tubes from a Caterpillar truck to use- LOL!

PeacE

No comments: