Friday, February 17

An Expensive Morning

 I was awake, dressed and out the door at 7:40 this morning, to pick up the Oldest Son at his apartment. We had talked yesterday, and made some decisions about his current vehicle issues. While the car that was stolen is still in the repair shop, he made the decision to go ahead and get a newer vehicle. This morning I was picking him to run down to a particular dealership that had used vehicles of the make/model he wanted, within his price range. We were in and out of there in about 2 1/2 hours - way better than the 3-4 I had to do each time on my vehicles. Of course, getting there moments after they opened, on a weekday, was a wise decision. And today started their President's Day sale for the weekend as well. He is now an owner of a 2021 Toyota Rav4 XLE that is metallic grey in color (like my first Rav was) and has a few more bells & whistles than my Rav4 has, but okay. With some haggling, we go the price down about $6,000 from the first offer. Still, all said and done, it was a hefty price (thanks inflation). Of course, I was along to drive him there, and assist if needed for anything. And I had the checkbook (Son had not ordered checks recently for his account). Of course, Mom & Dad are helping a little with the financials, but most of the cost he has covered. He has done well saving up.

By the way, RM, I'll let him do the bragging about the new vehicle... but I had to post about it somewhere. My boy is getting all growed up. He is even taking over his own insurance costs as of now. If we could get him to do that with his cell phone, he would be cut of any financial ties.... sigh. Someday soon. I know right now he is much more relaxed. He has been stressing about the whole situation for a couple months, and this helps ease his mind (mine too). When his other car is out of the repair shop, and the insurance has completed their portion of the costs, the Wife and I are talking about 'buying' it from the Son. Maybe it will encourage the Youngest to get his permit finally, and it can be his when he finishes high school. Not quite sure what plans are at this exact moment.

So, once papers were signed, car washed and detailed, Son took me to lunch. We went to a place called Little Miss BBQ. Wife and I had been there once about a year ago, and we really liked the food. Son had never been, so I suggested it. A little pricey, but REALLY GOOD - and hey, he was buying. He loves the place now as well. Plus we got to sit and visit for a bit more.

I came home, and emailed our insurance person, passing along Son's contact info for them to get in touch with each other about getting his new policy set up. Now I am just kind of relaxing, a little. This truly is one stress off my mind, knowing that the Son has reliable (and better theft-proof) vehicle, and his stress is much less due to the situation as well. I know RM can relate to the stress parents have about the stress their children have.

I am truly feeling much better. I think this time I have taken/taking to help get things 'sorted out' has been working well. Still have much I need to "do" ... but it is getting there.

PeacE

1 comment:

Rev Mom said...

I love how you let your children grow up. And always be there for them. You are a good papa.