Sunday, March 21

The Last Big Buy (Hopefully)

 I spent about three hours yesterday making what I hope to be, the last, most-expensive item purchase: a new vehicle. We had gone out last weekend, and purchased the Wife's new vehicle. This weekend was "may turn", though it was not set in stone. I have been looking at websites of vehicles, pricing vehicles, reading reports on vehicles, and even asking people about their own vehicles - things they liked/disliked about whatever they drove. I had thought I was narrowed down to a Honda Accord... but then settled into the idea of the Accord, or a Toyota Rav4.

Last weekend I had requested some info on the Rav4 from a dealership near our home, and they had called whilst we were across town, purchasing the Wife's vehicle (at another Toyota Dealership) and I tentatively had set up an appointment for yesterday. Mainly, I believed, to answer any outstanding questions about the vehicle. However, it turned out to be a 'What color do you have' as I by week's end I had pretty much made up my mind for the Rav. We walked in, asked for the salesman I was to meet (who couldn't be found/reached by phone) and after a few minutes, was assigned to someone else. I made his day SO EASY!!! This is what I want, the color, no financing. Within 10 minutes I was in a nice, dark grey Rav4, driving up the road, and liked it. I got suckered right there. I knew there was a good chance that I would get suckered at some point of the deal, and they got me there. I was looking for a basic Rav4 LE (non-hybrid) FWD... and ended up test driving an AWD (with multi-road type driving selections) which basically raised my price up a bit more. When would I use that? Wait - this is Arizona.... desert. Rainy season. Mud. Snow up North in the winter. Eco and Sport drive modes as well. All the other goodies I really wanted as well (bluetooth for phone/music... the rest of the stuff is meh). 

Within a couple minutes of talking once the price was revealed, we signaled our salesman over, and said "Let's do it." The remaining hour plus of our visit was waiting and completing the final 'financing/signing of docs' - or better called, waiting to do that. A short 5-minute basic tutorial on how to set up my phone via bluetooth (which didn't work out so hot, as it didn't want to cooperate) The Wife and I went to a late lunch at Fast Eddie's. I wanted to go "show off" the new vehicle, but realized I didn't have anyone I really wanted to do that with. My close friends knew there was a good chance I was going to get a car this weekend. The family that needed to know, already knew the same. Anyone else didn't matter. I sat in the parking lot after lunch, trying to figure out the phone issue and looking through the manual. No luck. Drove home, sat outside the house and tried a couple other ideas. No luck. Had to run an errand (yup, truly it was not an excuse just to drive it again) and finally figured out the phone issue, and got it fixed. It hit at least 91 degrees yesterday, and I learned, that even in Park, the car gets very chilled with the A/C - and it wasn't even on max!

So we both have new vehicles (both are 2021s), and the idea is to hopefully not buy another vehicle  (in regards to ourselves) for 10-15 years. Which means, it could be my last big purchase. Fifteen years will put me in my mid-60s, and if I am still alive, and driving, I think the decision would be made towards a used vehicle. Why buy another new one at that Point? The "Never had a new car until now" phase of our lives is now over.... in a few days when the newness wears off.

It is Sunday, and early. Woke just before 4am, and not able to sleep. Not sure what is on the agenda today. I think I may go up to the pub for a short bit this afternoon, and maybe show a couple acquaintances the new ride. Or maybe just drive around a bit. Monday I will get the insurance set up, and then it's just waiting on the new plates.

Thursday I found out that we were a bit behind schedule on our work project. They had expected the first phase to be completed that day, but by my estimation, the first phase won't complete actually until Monday. So about 2-1/2 days behind. My guess is that this means this project will last up to 4 weeks, versus the 3 they stated, and through in the late start .... At least it is work. I need to brag a bit. The Project Lead had mentioned how each of us needed to be reviewing XX amount of documentation per hour, and that anyone who was below that, she had spoken with privately to let them know they needed to step-up. I was like, huh? I mean, I am reviewing 4 times the regular amount per hour - how could anyone else be that low/slow? Only able to read pictures? I admit, I am a speed reader... and this particular project, the information we are reviewing is "short" documentation - documents with only 1 page, and little to review, versus 150 page documents, spreadsheets, etc. So yeah ... I'm doing at least 4 times (at my 'just doing the job' pace - I could easily move it up) of the documents than most of my co-workers. AND Quality Control has not said anything to me of "missed" information or any other mistakes. Damn, I'm good.

And that, is how we come to today's music video. When one is pretty full of themself, like I feel with the above, this one nails it on the head, right RM? Remember this one?


Geez... just spent an hour and half floating through YouTube while getting this one...

PeacE

1 comment:

Rev Mom said...

Congratulations on the new vehicle. I like the RAV4 myself.
Yes, I remember the song... especially because your Uncle Sam and Uncle Mike (more so Mike) would often sing it.
Proverbs 16:18 - Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall. Be careful of pride, it's a dangerous thing. Love you.