Thursday, March 30

It's Been A Long Time ....

 I have been married for over half of my life. I can honestly say, it feels like it, too. That's not a bad thing. I have been lucky enough, to find that truly special someone that completes me, and that magic has now brought us to thirty-two years of marriage - nearly thirty-four of being together. That being said, I have no special plans for the day, or the evening. Not being sure when she will finish with work today, I dare not make dinner plans. Our hot-air balloon ride on Saturday morning is my contribution to the event. I may go out and get a card, and a chocolate bar for her just for today.

I shared recently about getting a senior discount, and how I was honest with the person, that I truly wasn't a senior, as my age was still below the criteria. It is not the first time it has happened. I have also received Veteran discounts, also without my asking. Most times, I don't even notice the discount was given until I look at the receipt afterwards. It is frustrating being judged, without being asked, even though I am sure that the discounts do not "hurt" the financials of these companies. Something similar happened yesterday.

I went out to get the mail. There were a couple pieces, and as I stood outside having a cigarette, I looked them over. One was obvious junk mail, being a flyer/postcard for some local business that we aren't interested in. The other was an envelope from one of the (many) funeral homes in the Valley. My first thought, was, I'm barely into my 50's, why are they marketing me already? I felt singled out. But it was simply addressed to "The (LASTNAME) Family". I opened it, expecting to see brochures for the services they provide, and was somewhat surprised to not see any. There was a latter, asking that we complete a survey, and mail it back in a pre-paid envelope provided. In exchange, they will send a "Final Wishes Organizer". Hmmmmm. I glanced through the questions, and decided, why not? I'll be doing that here shortly. They do ask for name/address/telephone/email, and I think it safe to just do name & address. Maybe the email - to one of my spam email receiving accounts. If they send the booklet, it might have info we have not thought of.

Wow. Weird how my mind works. I started the post about how wonderful it is to celebrate 32 years of marriage to talking about death. Coincidence?

PeacE

No comments: