Monday, August 24

Papaw Has The Goods

 A few short nights ago, I was awakened early, and like most times when I am wakened that early, I was pretty wide awake. I did the usual ... go to the office and to get on the computer - to try to find something that makes me sleepy. I noticed the Daughter was still online in Discord, and in voice chat, so I decided to pop on and say hi. I guess she is up late/early with her youngest (my Widget) as she was awake. So as we both played a game on our own, we talked a little bit. I mentioned that I thought I was out of hard candy, which I could have whilst not eating for the colon cleanse. I mean, c'mon! Papaw always has candy on him!

I think the last time RM "ran something" up to the Wife's work it was a box of beef jerky strips. I think it was that same time she sent a cannister of the hard candies like I remember having sitting in a bowl at Grandma's house. I called it Granny Candy, and loved it because it was a hard candy that sometimes had a sweet filling in the middle of the piece. It was a brand name that had been around awhile. I think RM picked it up because of some discussion we had, or my monologue about it. 

So, long story longer ... I was looking to see if I could buy this candy in bulk, at least larger than the cannister RM had bought (which was gone and empty already). After a brief skim through Google, it looked like Amazon had some of the better deals, so then I searched there. I found a 5 lb. bulk bag of hard candy - a mixture of Jolly Rancher brand fruit candies, starlite mints (red & green) and the little individual wrapped fruit ones. All for about $20. Into the cart it went.

Now I was looking at candy, and knowing I was "out" at home, I started craving more. I looked up spiced gumdrops. Mmmm, little pricey for 5lb. and could not guarantee freshness (so they aren't dried/aged hard as a rock). Uh oh. Jelly beans. Just regular mix of jelly beans - none of the Jelly Belly flavored, or 'gourmet blend' bags. But got a 5lb. bag of regular ones of the standard flavor variety. They are smaller than regular jelly beans, but it'll work. Haven't tried them yet, as it isn't a hard candy approved for the cleanse. BTW - first two cups of the drink is down this morning, two to go.

Hmmm, guess I was wrong. I did order the spiced gumdrops and have a 5lb. bag being delivered tomorrow. As well as a devotional book called "Twenty-Four Hours A Day" and  it is a meditation book for those in recovery offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life. We have used it before for discussion topics for my AA meetings, so I went ahead and got it (hardback). I did check the thrift books site RM uses, but they only had it in paperback.

So Papaw is once again stocked with candy (I don't eat it much at home because of watching my glucose being near diabetic). Plus some daily reading to go with my quiet time. I have had several questions pop up in my mind that I wanted to ring to discussion at lunch on Friday with RM, but I was no where near a notebook to write it down (sacrilegious!). I need to get better at jotting down my notes - I had gotten out of practice with not going out much. Well, worse case is I remember it later and just email ask her. I know she would love to be able to answer some questions with her experiences/interpretations.

Well, it is 4:30am, and I officially am done with the colon-cleanse drink. Nothing to eat or drink now until after the procedure. I am not expecting them to find anything that would hold me up from the transplant list. I am still waiting the results of the tox screen I did last Wednesday. Would love to get a call later this week letting me know I finally made the list.

Have the day you deserve....

PeacE

1 comment:

Rev Mom said...

oh my! Did I start you on a candy hunt? I bought that can at Sam's Club. I think.