Thursday, July 1

The Dream job

 We all have a "dream job" of some sort. That one type of employment that pays so well, the work so easy/love to do, the hours and travel necessary are perfect. I know I have several in which I try not to day dream about, because I hate disappointing myself. For many of us, these things never come about, and for some, they work hard to get those jobs, or very near to them.... and yes, it makes us envy them a little.

I was up late last night. The Wife and Middle Son had traveled on the local Light-Rail to the Mercury WNBA game last night, so I needed to pick them up afterwards. That was about 9:40pm and we stopped to bring home shakes for all from Sonic. I messed around a bit on the computer playing Warcraft, then went to bed about 11:30pm and COULD NOT FALL ASLEEP. Around 2am I was ready to just get up and go for as long as I could, but somehow drifted off. Around 5:30am I was awakened quickly - not quite startled to full attentiveness like hearing someone breaking into the house, but close to it. I realized I had a dream - one I was actually remembering.

I plopped my head back down onto my pillows to try to drop back into this dream, as it was like watching a movie, and it was good! I kinda dozed for maybe 10-15 minutes, and awoke again, realizing, I had to write this down. And should I run up to QuikTrip for some soda first, maybe get an ultimate burrito, as well? No, no, no... need to get this idea down. This could be a book. So as I spent the 500 million years getting up out of bed and setting off the snaps, crackles, and pops of the body, then that quick old man shuffle to the bathroom, I am in front of the computer screen, text doc open, making notes.

Oh, I am out of practice. Trying to note all this before it slips from my mind... what is the basic story? who are the characters (protagonist/antagonist)? Where? What When? How???? Things I will need to find a way to research (meaning hours of reading time on the internet I am sure). Is this plot outline even sound like anything that is realistic? Names? Descriptions of places, items used, etc. What is the connection of it all? how does it end - I never saw that in my dream. What would be a good climatic finish, with maybe an opening for additional story(s) - for the publisher of course. Because, this would be written so well, they'll be stabbing each others backs to get it, right?

Dream job - I have a couple I would like. Beer Taster. Book Reviewer (I'm trying this one, but my review writing needs work yet). Video Game Tester (for PC) - I have to specify for PC, because them handsets for XBox/Playstation - they have WAY too many buttons/levers for me to understand.

Either way, I'm about a page, and them some, of notes on this dream/story idea. Every time I sort of re-read through the notes, I get a heartbeat speed-up, like this could be doable. I gotta get up to the QT for some soda - maybe two - and start looking up some of this info and see if the idea is gonna work.

Dream job - being a published, popular writer. I know it just doesn't usually happen with ONE book. But if I wrote that one.... RM is always mentioning I should do it - write a book. Heck, she tells herself that as well. Who knows, maybe one day it will happen.

PeacE


1 comment:

Rev Mom said...

You brought excitement, hope... and yes, tears to my eyes, as I read your post. I believe in you and I know you can write that book.