Sunday, August 30

Givin' A Holla Out to ....

 Meditation for the Day

One secret of abundant living is the art of giving. The paradox of life is that the more you give, the more you have. If you lose your life in the service of others, you will save it. You can give abundantly and so live abundantly. You are rich in one respect — you have a spirit that is inexhaustible. Let no mean or selfish thought keep you from sharing this spirit. Of love, of help, of understanding and of sympathy, give and keep giving. Give your personal ease and comfort, your time, your money and most of all, yourself. And you will be living abundantly.

This was in my "Twenty Four Hours a Day" book for today. As soon as I read it, I realized, this is RM. Now Mom has been this way for several years, though I honestly can't say how long ago I noticed it. But she is the Giver. She even admits to her love of giving things. She bakes, especially around holidays, and gives it away. She takes time (and a some food) to a couple ladies she knows from her neighborhood. She has made room in her schedule to help me at times (though I try not to ask too often). Even I am presented with gifts she 'inadvertently picked up', or because she just saw it and thought of me. I know she does that for others as well. It really makes me proud of her, and makes me want to give as well.

You're the best, Mom!

I think I have talked about giving before in an older post. The nudges I have had and acted on, the feeling of elation inside because you helped someone in someway. I believe this is truly God giving those nudges. To teach us to share? To help the other person in some way? No idea, only He knows His Plan. But I have found out, it is getting easier to give as I grow in my spirituality. I think the "want" to do it is just inherently part of the package. Even AA supports the giving, as Step 12 is to help other alcoholics find the program and help them on their path of recovery (actually spoken about before the meditation on today's reading). Have I helped any alcoholics? I don't know. Maybe something I said clicked with them and they went off to do it. I am too young in the program to be any type of Sponsor for anyone, so my giving is in experiences and sometimes, that is all someone needs without it being crammed down their throats.

Yesterday I did go down to the Post. I saw a couple guys I hadn't seen in awhile. I did get the minutes and agendas done that needed to be done, emailed them out. I'm caught up on that until after Tuesday's meeting. I was back home after about three hours. Then I played video games most of the evening. The Wife did a store run, and ended up making (maybe just re-heating) Salisbury steaks and mashed potatoes. It hit just the spot last night!

No major plans today. Tuesday is my paracentesis, and I am ready to drain. I haven't been since the 19th due to scheduling conflicts. I know after the TIPS procedure that there could be some side effects. One is random drain amounts for a few weeks, as the body adjusts to the "bypass". Some slight swelling in the feet and legs from fluid build-up (not ascites). My legs are well loaded now. So much that it feels like the skin is just going to split open. Yesterday, I could barely get my slip-on shoes onto my feet. The 'pitting' and edema goes to nearly halfway up my thigh. The Wife says I need to let the Dr. know, and I will, on Tuesday, that way I can let them know how much was drained as well. I think the Radiology doctor changed my diuretics too much after the TIPS. She cut one from 400mg to 100mg, and the other from 80mg to 40mg. I think if we put the one back up to 80, and do about 200 on the other, it would help ... but what do I know? I'll mention this as well when I message the doctor. The edema is worse than when all this started a year ago.

And with that I will close out and get on with my day.

PeacE

No comments: