At this time tomorrow morning, I should be called back beyond those doors that block off the waiting area and lead into the workings of the hospital. Nothing I haven't done before (going through the door) for blood draws, CTs, MRIs, consults, and on and on. But this one is a little more involved. I am sure it will be wheelchair to a room, change into a gown, and from then on I am in a bed. Who doesn't want to lay in bed all day? Me ...
The first part of the procedure is going to be a normal routine for me. They will do a paracentesis to drain any excess abdominal ascites prior to the procedure. At some point after that, not sure of the timing, I'll be wheeled into an OR and knocked out. Then they insert a catheter through a vein in my neck, and guide it to the liver. They will create a channel between the Hepatic and Portal veins, with a mesh stent to keep it open. If things go fine, that's generally about it. 24-48 hours observation, then home. Average time of procedure: 2-3 hours. Once home I am on restrictions for lifting. I also have to watch out for further signs of Hepatic Encephalopathy, skin turning yellow (jaundice) and swollen legs. Since I have HE already, the medication I am on may cause it to not worsen.
So, sounds easy-peasy, right? I would think anyone gets a bit nervous though when they have to have a medical procedure done. I know I "accepted" whatever comes with this whole transplant process, and to do my best to meet demands of healthcare staff. But I can feel some anxiety starting already this morning. There will be lots of little prayers today, I am sure.
RM & PT are headed out of town today, through the weekend. With RM's birthday this past Sunday, and their anniversary coming up the 14th, PT *ALWAYS* wants to go somewhere out of town, just to do basically the same thing they do at home. My opinion, and not too far off mark, I am sure. I pray for their safe travels. Rm has asked at least twice about pushing their trip date off to another time, so she is able to be at Mayo for my procedure, and both times I told her no, to go. I do expect her at the actual transplant though.
My Older Sister called me yesterday. She wanted to apologize for not being able to make it for the procedure (she is in NM). I wasn't even expecting that ... even said so. She stated she will be here for my transplant though. She offered up prayers, which I gladly asked her to continue.
RM sent a BIM package home with my Wife yesterday. BIM is Because I'm Mom. She had mentioned something about it in her blog, but I had no idea what to expect. The jar of salsa was for the Youngest. But RM sent a box of some beef jerky (mmmm) and another box. I instantly went on alert. What would she send me that needs to be in a box? Well, I was busy when I got home last night (had Aux meeting) and forgot to even look in the box until this morning. Now I believe it was last week, RM had sent me home with a study bible to help me work on my getting into the scripture and studying. It was one she had used before, but was not her favorite choice. I honestly have not had a chance to use it. Well, in this box she sent, it has a brand new, leather Jerimiah Study Bible. This one is her current favorite to use. As I read the daily devotional (she had sent that home last week as well) I followed up the verse in this study bible, just to see what it offers. I am impressed! I think this will be a great tool in my walk with God, and I am able to still use the other if I need clarification or something. Of course, RM included a personal, hand-written note, which made me tear up (but not cry!). Thanks Mom!
Well, today will be a bit busier than usual for me. I am getting a haircut, need to fuel up the car, need to wash said car (in and out), and have lunch. I think I am going to go to JTs Gyros over on 35th Ave & Greenway. I love their shwarma. Other than that, I'll just be grabbing a few things to put in a backpack to take. Tablet, phone, chargers, medical journal, note journal. Think I will forego the bibles for this trip.
And that's it...
I'm looking into essential oils. Which one is it that calms other people down? Chloroform? It's Chloroform isn't it?
PeacE
1 comment:
Praying for you always. I love you, son.
Post a Comment