Yes, even though I am a Father, Mom's are still better. Especially my Mom. Yesterday she had texted and asked about swinging by to drop off some presents she had gotten for my birthday. I was just playing video games so said sure, and shortly she arrived. The Wife and Youngest greeted her as well. I got a nice bag of little snackies: Chex mix extra spicy dill flavored (I opened this one, and it is good), some dill pickle flavored smaller Slim Jims, a nice sized cannister of dill pickle trail mix (haven't tried it yet) and a new set of suspenders that are black with the American Flag on each strap. I had been thinking recently of getting a second pair of suspenders, so this came at a good time. Lastly, and as I waited for her to arrive I wondered if she would, there was book. This one is "The Circle Maker" and is one of her best reading recommendations. I'm a bit excited to start it, but would like to finish the one I am on, so I don't get mixed up in my head. I used to able to multi-task reading several books, but cannot at this time with the encephalopathy.
Mom has always enjoyed the fact that I am a big reader, I believe. I recall a few of my school-age years where she had bought books at Christmas for me, and that went on into my early twenties. Then I told her to stop. She was doing the best she could in a genre that is predictable and in my mind, overly repetitive of morals and ethics and Christian philosophy. In short, I was not enjoying them, and I was tired of the whole churchy-vibe I got when reading them. I asked for gift cards or money so that I could pick out what I wanted to read. But she did introduce me to C.S. Lewis ("Narnia Chronicles" and a space trilogy I can't remember the name of right this second).
RM has blogged about some indecision with a want and desire to lead a group. She wants to teach what she knows to others. I know with PT's particulars, it makes it difficult (another story). But she has been teaching me for the past few weeks. As I've re-committed my Life, I get to spots where I am not sure what to do. It doesn't have to be like a cult rite, but some guidance (aside from prayer) or suggestion that truly has helped me. When it came to prayer, all I knew was you thank God, You praise God, you ask of God (healing/prayer lists) and that was it. All she gave me was a, I think she said yesterday, 40-year old prayer wheel chart. Believe it or not, it was not a list of orders of structure, but a circle chart. You could start anywhere, but it covered things prayer covers (if that makes sense). It helped me determine how I want to pray. I think I even told her yesterday it helped so much.
Let's not get started yet on the 'just because' things she does, or being willing to drop everything and come help if I ever needed and asked. Our lunches. Our visits together (with or without PT being there). The cookies and home-made pickles...mmmmm. Christmas is coming!
I find little things about me that are similarities of Mom's (keep guessing) and I know it is because she has been a wonderful example of a person these past many years. She's always been there for advice, experience lessons (if she has info to share) and teaching the Bible. I know I fall back on her quite a bit lately, to help me get that first step onto a path that I am not sure what to do. Just that little guidance is beyond words to me (dang it ... allergies are back).
And that is just some of the reasons my Mom is the best.
Go call your Mom (if you can) and tell them you love her.
This message is not paid by Hallmark nor any other Mother's Day card makers.
PeacE
1 comment:
You made me cry this morning. You are a gift from God, and an answer to my prayers. I love you.
Post a Comment