Thursday, September 24

This is A Long Drain ....

 I left the house yesterday around 10:30a. I figured I would not be back home until about 3:30p-4p. I had been thinking about getting a haircut, but even with "check-in" at the walk-in places made guessing a time frame difficult. I needed to be at the hospital by noon. Well, I have my account with Great Clips, and I signed in, my location showed a wait time of 0 minutes. So I checked-in, and headed that way. I know my haircut will only take about 20-30 minutes, so I rolled the dice. When I got there, there were three names on the list now, though mine was first, and no one waiting. I got called back before I could sit down. So goal one accomplished.

It's about 11a, I still have an hour until I need to be at the hospital, but I don't feel like going all the way home and back when I am halfway to the next location. So I headed to the hospital early. When I got to the radiology waiting area where they usually check me in, the gal was surprised to see me. But it worked out. I guess there was a cancellation, so they could take me earlier, which they did by about 40 minutes. I ended up draining 11.8L (about 22 lbs.) and felt much better on one front. The edema along the sides of the abdomen had the tech using a same diameter catheter, but longer. The abdomen wall is swollen to at least 5cm from what he told me. Mostly from the edema.

I then went over to CARS and got my four bottles of albumin IV'ed into me. I was hungry, since I usually fast until after the procedure. Even though I got done early, I was ravenous. I ended up at JT's Gyro's (35th Ave 7 Greenway) and got a meal of the beef pita shwarma. Comes with fries, drink, and like most of their meals this little cup of soup. I have not been able to figure out what type of soup it is (Greek chicken and noodles?) but it is sooooo tasty! Went on home and weighed my "dry" weight (295 lbs.) and ate that meal!

I noticed about then, the bandage they had used had leaked (again) just like last week. So I had the wetness down one side of my crotch about 4 inches wide. Last time, this slow drip from the catheter hole had stopped in the evening, and I figured this time would be the same. Nope. It is still going this morning. We decided to let it leak, get some of the extra fluid out, as long as no signs of infection or anything. I have no way of calculating how much is drained, but I'll take relief in very small doses if I have to do so. 

As usual I a tired from the procedure, and I see a nap in my future. Two meetings today, then a nap... could be a good day after all.


PeacE

No comments: