Thursday, June 18

Government Frustration

You think this post is going to be full of every bitch about politicians and whatnot? No, not really. I mean, I do have many gripes about them. Many citizens do, I am sure. Some of them might even match mine, or make me agree with them on something I haven't even heard of ... but that is more off track than what I was referring to with the post title.

Several, nay, MANY years ago, when I was but a wee lad in high school, The Valley area had many DMV offices. I can remember several locations from those days, as I had thoroughly read the paper pamphlet (the rules of the road) and the listing of locations within, so I could be ready to do my licensing at any place, anytime, and knew what places did the testing, etc. In that blank space of time since my HS days, many of these locations have closed. My guess to some government beaucracy somewhere, funding cuts and the shit riolls downhill, blah blah blah, until ADOT (AZ Dept of Trans.) has to do cuts that close locations.

The Valley is continuing to grow in population. Hence, more monies being paid into the system for licenses/registrations/etc, but does that make a difference? No. What ADOT/DMV have done, is contracted and allowed third party providers offer certain services (registration/plates/temporary plates), many of which, charge additional fees on top of the standard fee from DMV. However, after much research this morning, none of these third parties are allowed to do licenses/permits.

So...
A.) with higher fees, many people don't use these third party places, or they don't even know about them.
B.) DMV locations are fewer in number, thus have to serve larger amounts of people (from Valley growth, plus larger areas with fewer locations).
C.) DMV locations are swamped with longer waiting times to get anything accomplished.

Is there any way to fix this? Sure, if whatever higher-up muckity-mucks got whatever funding they needed to provide more locations, and fatten their paychecks. So no, no way to fix it. Sure, DMV does offer some online services, but not enough people use it. The worst is most are not informed of what they can do online, or through other means except going to the DMV. Which clogs up the waiting process even more.

What brought this griping on today? The Eldest Son had his driving permit expire. Told the Wife, but not me. So now he has to go take the written test again, instead of just a renewal we could have done online. He has to go to a DMV to take the test. Third parties aren't allowed licensing procedures. Tried two different locations today, with terrible results - lines over 50 at one, and well over 100 at the other. At 15 minutes to opening ....

We are going to try one of those locations tomorrow, but arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of opening, so we can maybe be in the top 25 to get in, and be out in a couple hours (I hope).

No comments: