Thursday, April 30

The Animal is amongst us

It's been about three months since I wrote about having to put our family dog, Spunky, to sleep due to old age and complications. In that period, not once have the kids mentioned anything about wanting another pet, or even hinted at a desire to have something. I think they seemed to enjoy the less responsibility of having to feed/water, let outside, etc.

Well we knew the party needed to end sometime, and that happened last night. The Wife had swung by the homestead prior to picking up the kids for the evening. There was a kitten in the middle of the road. Being the type of person she is, she went to get it out of the street (this is right in front of our home BTW). Then she realizes the kitten's eyes are matted shut with gunk, and it is skinny as all hell.

I was out at a party and the Wife calls me. "Honey, I was on the way home and found a kitten in the middle of the street."

I mentally frowned. I knew what this was leading towards. "Did you run it over?"

"No," she replied. "But it's eyes are matted close. Can't we help it?"

Of course from there it was over. She helped clean the gunk from it's eyes, and we set it in a pet carrier with some water and soft cat food for the night.

Today I spent several calls on the phone trying to find a cheap vet/clinic to see about getting it's eyes checked, plus all the vaccination/rabies shots and what not required. Best I found without driving across the valley is around $260 - for a damn kitten. Needless to say, we are going to discuss the issue tonight over dinner (about half an hour away).

(Sigh) Another animal to worry about that the kids are keeping up with taking care of it, and who to watch it if we are out of town. At least it doesn't need to be let out a few times a day. I dunno what to do at this point.

Soooo, that's the new stuff for now. Just another mouth to feed and expensive Dr. visits.

PeacE

No comments: