Monday, June 21

I am so happy!

Wow! What a great Father's Day I have had! I hope all you fathers out there were as happy as I am, but I doubt it. But it could come close!! Naw!! I was just saying that!

We went to dinner last night, sort of for Father's Day, but really just so the Wife would not have to cook. We did it simple and easy. Went to the buffet. Again, I ate too much. But it really was good!!!

This morning, everyone was woken up and told to prepare for church (all except me, cuz ya know I don't go). I got a couple sleepy "Hi Dad"s as they walked out the front door. I wasn't expecting nothing. I am tired too in the morning when faced with a meeting I don't wanna face. Though I am sure my meaning is different than theirs, when we are talking about a meeting a church!

Around 12:30, I jumped into my WoW game, and came across my BIL. HE reminded me that everyone was at their place for lunch (which we had declined this particular time). I mentioned, I was awaiting my wife and family, to be coming home with Subway for lunch. He got to rub it in they were having porterhouse steaks, and I wasn't there to partake. I smirked silently inside, knowing, though I was not there, I only had my own family to deal with, and not other people. My wife showed up very soon after, with the spicy italian sub I wanted, AND soda. Usually we just get the subs, but she stopped and got soda today too!

So here I am happy I got my foot-long sub, soda, and I am thinking, this is a good day. My middle son brings me a present, saying "Happy Fathers Day, Dad". It is a homemade notebook, decorated with glitter of his design, with empty pages in it. But before I could question him, my oldest son plops another present in front of me. It, too, is a handbook of empty pages, decorated by him, filled with empty pages.

-- At this time, I started to fret. Yes, I have been out of work for quite some time. One of my things I have wanted to do, was to write a book. Without going further than that, here I am with two (2) notebooks decorated by my two oldest boys. I feel.... pressured. I give a wild look to my Wife, who, I don't know if she sees my "deer in the headlight look" but instructs the boys to tell me what it is for.... My oldest speaks up, "They are keepsake journals we made, so you can make notes about us as we grow up, and have those memories written down forever."

My eyes teared up. I got one from each of the older boys, and can note stuff separately for them as I feel needed to do so.

My youngest son, painted me a "tie" to wear, though I need to add the strings, and have some sort of interview to go to to wear one. But the tie in itself, has a story. I know because he told me. But it will have to wait for another night to hear the story, because he told me he was busy at the moment, and couldn't tell it to me at that exact moment.

Then, the Wife says, "Oh, these are from all of us," as she handed me a bag. I got a nice collection of dvd movies. Some John Wayne ("The Green Berets" which I already watched today too) some Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson, Sam Elliott... a collection of horror movies (we'll see if any watch with me) and to top it off, though it wasn't a present for me, but for the whole household, the Wife had found a collection of 20 movies of Alfred Hitchcock. BOO-YAH!

Needless to say, I spent the better part of the day watching movies.

Evening rolled around, and RM and PT stopped by. They brought me some leftover steak (from Sis') and some deviled eggs (who don't love them?). It'll go good with the potato salad RM brought me yesterday (cuz she knew I wasn't going to Sis' and she knows I love home-made tater salad).

I rounded out the night, by heading to the pub for karaoke, though, I ended up reading the book I brought instead of singing. I was reading "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind. I love that series, and had gotten the first three books for my oldest son last month. he finished the first one. so I asked for it, so I can re-read the series again, and be able to discuss the books with him.

I came home from the pub to see the daughter's bedroom light on, so asked her out for a discussion. For once in our lives, it felt that way anyways, we were able to sit down and have a conversation. No yelling. No raised voices. No blaming for whatever. I think that was the best gift. To be able to communicate with her again after the last 4 years of BS (from her and from me, I accept half blame) and be able to go on.

Thirty minutes ago, I let her go to bed. It's now almost 4 and I need to get some shut eye too.

I think this is one of the best Father's Days I have ever had. And I am crying cuz I wish it wouldn't end.

PeacE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great day.

HB

Reverend Mother said...

sounds like the perfect day to me! I'm so glad you felt loved! It brought tears to my eyes when I read what the boys gave you. You have wonderful children, son. (and a beautiful wife).