Tuesday, June 1

Is It a Priceless Commercial?

Our van is in the garage today. In fact, I just got a ride home from there, and will need to return this afternoon to pick it up. Going over the issue(s) that needed to be addressed, I started feeling like one of those Mastercard commercials.

EGR Valve replacement       $250
New Spark Plugs                 $100
New Spark Wires                 $95
Fuel System Cleansing          $150
Computer Diagnostic            $100
Labor and grand total           $1044
Ease of mind on trip              Priceless

Needless to say, I questioned many of the charges. But, in the computerized world of autos today, I am at a loss. Years ago, Clutch, brakes, etc I did all myself. It was a more mechanical thing. Now you have to hook a machine to the computer in the vehicle to tell you what is wrong, as if you couldn't figure it out. Granted, I am not as fit (or limber, or skinny) as I used to be, and I sure am lazy enough to not want to do the actual work.. I pay the labor. I just couldn't believe the price of spark plugs now! Why? This particular model of minivan requires a certain kind, which truly are better than regular ones, but more expensive, though they supposedly last longer. Same with the wires. I tried to haggle (which I am not very good at doing) asking if I got the parts, would they do the labor at least. Sure, but then they would not guarantee the parts, even if I bought them at the same place they get them (minus their up-pricing). Can't win. At least that is a tune-up done and out of the way for XXX amount of miles.

Yesterday was a good day. Had a wonderful time with family. Celebrated 3 birthdays, too! Tomorrow, PT (Preacher Tom, my stepdad) and I are going out to see "Robin Hood" with Russell Crowe. Trailers make it look good, and I have heard some good things about it.

That's all I got for now.

PeacE

No comments: