Sunday, May 30

Sometimes, Things Just Work Out Ok

Had a nice breakfast with my in-laws yesterday. We went to a little breakfast place called First Watch. I don't know if they are a small chain, or what, but the do the breakfast/brunch/lunch thing and that's it. This trip was my first time and it wasn't bad.

So, the van has it's appointment for Tuesday at the garage. In the meantime, we weren't sure about what to do. I made a call to Sis, as we had borrowed their van previously for a couple days. Turns out, they are able to loan it again to us. Thankfully, that helps our transportation of the family around for the rest of the weekend, and until we can get our van out of the garage. I am starting to worry about making this trip to Indiana driving our van, since it has seen the garage going on 4 times already this year. Sis and BIL offered to let us use their van for our trip (obviously leave ours with them) as it is a newer vehicle, and I am sure is bound to get somewhat a little better gas mileage. I sort of shucked an answer, putting that on the backshelf until I knew what was going on with our van. It is starting to sound a little more like a good idea though.... I just don't know yet.

The daughter is clearly an emotionally-mixed teenager. Aside from them telling me the orientation at the college was good, and they learned a lot of info, I haven't heard much. She is excited about the laptop we gave her for graduation (especially the wi-fi card in it) and has only mentioned there is no sound. I think she just needs to plug in headphones or speakers though. I will have to check. But she has gone from the "happy" extreme to the "self pity" one. My FIL's age is catching up with him. Without disclosing much, because I don't know all the details, it is getting to the point where his driving ability is getting to be impaired. The MIL will need to starty doing their driving for them. Well, FIL's car is a stick, which MIL can't drive. Their other vehicle is a full-size van. So, longer story shorter, they now have another vehicle that is an automatic. The manual drive, they are literally GIVING to my daughter for school. Only, she has never driven a stick shift. Now, those of us that can, remember our first times driving one? We never learned it in one day, especially not in just a 20 minute lesson. Well, the Wife took her out for about 20 minutes yesterday, driving at the local park, and on sidestreets. I guess at one point, she stalled out making a turn, and was flustered (I am guessing there was some light traffic behind her) because she could not get the vehicle re-started - probably due to the combo of clutch in to start, and feeling "rushed" to complete the turn, and learning the combination of gas/clutch ratio needed to not stall again. Supposedly, she tried like 20 times, and could not get the car going, so the wife took over, and they basically quit that particular lesson. So they get home, and the daughter is slamming doors, and "Oh pity me - I failed and can never learn to drive a stick" even after repeatedly being told to NOT slam doors, and neither of us had ever learned in one complete sitting how to drive a stick perfectly. Damn kids...her especially I just want to smack the stupid shit out of sometimes.

Indy 500 is today. I might be out at the pub to watch. Haven't decided.

Tomorrow we are headed to Sis' for food and family in the afternoon. I hope you enjoy your day!

Tomorrow is Memorial Day. Be sure to take part of your schedule, and remember our vets, home or away, alive or dead, for our freedom.


PeacE

No comments: