Monday, July 19

My Ruby Slippers Have Tap-Tap-Tapped

Saturday night we finally made it home from our trip. Barely. I'll explain more about that in a minute... We all had a great time visiting family/friends while back in the IN/MI area, and the kids got to do some things they never have before. Lots of pictures were taken, and I don't know when I will get around to posting them. I still need to get them off the camera, and I just don't see that happening today. Today I am busy trying to get the van to the garage and taking the kids to dental checkups. Yeehaw.

So why would I need to take the van to the shop? Especially after the previous visits and money spent earlier this year? I wish I didn't.

We started out our trip from Phoenix and drove straight through to Amarillo, TX the first day. I was a bit tired, so we checked into the hotel, then decided to find somewhere to eat. It was about 10:30pm TX time. After driving around for about 15 minutes, with no luck finding somewhere open, all of the sudden, the power goes out on the van, and I am unable to start it up. After a few minutes I am able to get it started and back to the hotel minus lights and other power items. The front desk had no clue where any auto stores were, and luckily the daughter brought her laptop so we could google Autozone.

The next morning, Sunday, July 4th, I was apprehensive. I did call the Autozone and they were open!! We were able to get the van started and drove the couple miles to the store. There we have the battery and altenator tested. Battery had low charge. Altenator was not charging battery. They were great in trying to help find a garage to get it fixed, but NO place was open that day. We ended up staying an extra day in Amarillo, til Monday then got the altenator replaced, plus the belt tensioner. Garage fees of a bit over $500.

Trip continued as we had decided to drive the remainder to Indianapoils "straight through". About St Louis, I was hearing an awful rattling from the engine. Turns out there was no oil, though I had just had an oil change done on Wednesday. Two quarts were added - rattling stopped.

We visited a couple days in Indy area, and a friend of the Wife's in Martinsville. Then headed north to Frankfort. There we spent the night and visited with my sister and step mom. Had a real nice downpour, so strong, we couldn't see across the street. The kids were like "Whoa! Never seen rain like this!" I laughed. Next day we headed on up to Elkhart for the weekend.

Saturday was our reunion and it was fun. That night, my Grandpa (84 yrs old) went into the ER. For a week prior he had been having bad bowel movements. Well, the van starting having issues starting up again. We made it over from the hotel to my grandparents place. There my uncle and I did what we could to determine the prob. Cleaned the terminals, found no loose wires/connections. Oil was low again, so 2 more quarts added. Figured the corrosion on terminals was it, and would charge on our drive north. So we went on to visit Grandpa at the hospital prior to heading to MI. He was released later that day. Turns out he had some dehydration and a stomach bug they prescribed meds for.

Reached MI and immediately tried to start the van again. The starting problem was worse. My friend knew a garage nearby and we took it in the next morning. Turns out now the battery was bad, and wasn't taking the charge form the new altenator. Another $100 for a battery. While there we did Lake Michigan and the kids loved it! As we readied for the trip home, another quart of oil was added.

Wednesday we started home. First night in St Louis, on the northside of town (270 bypass). Added another quart of oil in the morning. We headed on to Bunceton, MO, where another friend of the wife lives and stayed the night at her place. The next night was we made it to Tucumcari, NM, before stopping. Saturday, we started out knowing we would make it home that day.

By Albequerque, the AC had quit working in the van. When we reached Grants, NM, we heard a rattling/scraping sound, which I realized was the AC compressor pulley wheel starting to go. Not knowing what else to do, we decided to push on and get as close to home as we could before this part would freeze up and snap the belt. By Flagstaff (our last fuel up) the noise is horrible, but I know we got 2 hours to Phx so press on.

RM's prayers for our safe trip is one of the things I am beginning to think that got us home. As I am criusing I-17 into Phoenix, I go to get off at our exit, and stop at the light to turn left. Light turns green, I go to turn left, and realize the steering wheel is not moving. The Power Steering had just gone out! With a mighty heave I got thru the turn. We dropped the daughter off (meaning, we slowed down enough for her to jump out) at my in-laws so she could get the extra car, and drove the 6 blocks on home. As I put it in park and shut the engine off, you could hear a rush of fluid draining. Sure enough, there was a good gallon or so of fluid running from under the engine. It is like 8pm, and I am not looking at the damage until Sunday. We unload and head to bed.

Sunday. Sis and BIL come over and we pop the hood. The serpentine belt had snapped (evidently just as we exited freeway) so explained PS loss. Fluid is probably radiator due to hot engine and the belt not working the waterpump. AC compressor is frozen up. We put about 11 quarts of oil in the damn engine over the whole trip. So I get to contact the garage about all of that. I am thinking $1500 for repairs easily. Not happy about that at all.... and not knowing how we burnt thru all that oil... with no leaking.

We did break 100,000 miles on the trip though!

Ok, more later. The shop is now open and I need to call them.

PeacE

2 comments:

Joe said...

welcome home. Sorry we were not able to meet up.

spoiled princess said...

Glad you made it back But I think it's time to get a new van after spending all that money fixing it love you.