Friday, July 30

Someday, I May Learn

I came home tonight. Late, sorta. I mean, I was before midnight, which is really good considering I was out drinking. And I didn't go out drinking, until I had accomplished what needed doing by me today.

I and my oldest son, Ralphd00d IV, were off late this afternoon to register him for junior high. Normal affair, they just don't do it until like starting 4pm. I think half of that is due to our AZ heat. Though today, it poured down some rain in the middle of it all. Too much too fast for the ground to soak in, so it all became like flood waters streaming from every drainage/wash/etc etc.

Anyways, we got him squared away with the fees all paid for his PE outfit, yearbook, and of course, school pics. He walked out with his schedule, and an ID card. Over the next few days I plan to spend some extra time with him explaining how Jr High is a bit different from grade school, aside from the regular differences he knows. When I brought up about PE class, he was a bit surprised about how you have to use locker rooms. He is a bit chubby like I was (though his is gonna be grown out of it in about 6 months I think) and is really self-conscious about it... I know I was at that age. I think some fatherly advice, about how to use that towel for the best snap, and how to dress in 3 seconds flat, are in order. If nothing else, teach him that duct tape only hurts when ripped off fast, but it is the best way to remove it. Oh yeah, and those other rules, like don't bend over to pick up the soap. We are giving him a soap on the rope, so he can hang it about his neck while in the shower.

Sounds bad, but c'mon guys! Y'all have been there. Some stories are worse than others, and we all remember stories we were told prior to being there. At that age level, endowment plays a big part of "masculine acceptance and dominance". Well, he don't need to be on the jock team.... in fact, I would rather he play for the underdog. He has a great sense of unrighteousness, and knows when someone is being treated unfairly and has mentioned this several times to us. I always tell him, "Well, what do you think the right thing for you to do in this situation is?" Don't always get the best answers, but it is a start as to how he is going to handle things.

So it is almost 1:30am here, and I should rattle off some ending to this. Got other websites to see since I am busy not joining the wife in bed. Seems we have had a bit of a disagreement this evening, and though I have apologized, for any way she could have misunderstood me, she still is not happy. If I had known this prior to leaving the bar, I would not have left. (sigh) Such is life.

PeacE

No comments: