Tuesday, August 9

Back When the Dinosaurs Roamed the Earth ....

Today is the Reverend Mother's birthday. I won't put her age, or birth year, though it would not embarrass her, it just is not the polite thing to do for womenfolk in this day and age. But needless to say, she has been around for over half a century, and then some.

Out of the three of us siblings, I am probably the most distant when it comes to family. I know I have posted about my parents divorce, and that I lived with my Dad several years, before living with my siblings and Mother again. I think that many of the traits I picked up were during those years with my Dad. One surprisingly being about not associating with family much. I think distance was the main factor I saw it more often than not. Though most of my Dad's family was only about 2-3 hours drive away, we didn't see them as often as we possibly could have. Mom, Sis, and brother were across the country from me at that time as well. Even once reunited, I was in my mid-teens by then and it just wasn't the same... that 'closeness' that siblings get from growing up together.

I know during the time I lived with my Dad, and before Mom and all moved out West, there are memories lurking around my head of things I said, events that happened, that colored much of my opinion about my Mom. She wasn't always a Reverend, and I am never the nice Prince all parents want their sons to grow to be. To this day, I am still pretty distant when it comes to family stuff. Granted, since having children of my own, hurdles have been leapt, long-standing records broke and re-made, when it comes to getting together with family, or just spending time with them.

Mom has become pretty obstinate over all them years she has been through, and still prays for me everyday, that I change my wicked lifestyles, and come and find the Lord. Heh, that ain't nothing coming from a religious parent. I think they all do that for all their children. But I give her credit for tenacity.

So, I guess in a way I should just get it out. I don't do it enough.

Happy Birthday Mom. I love you.

PeacE

1 comment:

Reverend Mother said...

thank you, son. You did it. You made me cry. Success! I know life was not easy for you - but you got through it. I'm so glad you came out here to live with us. I remember the first time you came to visit, it broke my heart to put you on that plane. I'm glad you are here. I love you. Mom.