Wednesday, December 16

Life is like a Country Song

Geez, I am sure many of us have heard that title phrase before. And the first thing ya think is, my Wife left, momma died, and the dog was put to sleep. Here's a tear for my beer.

It's weird though, when part of the words of a song (doesn't necessarily have to be a country song) kinda make ya go, "Man, that sounds like me." I think the one I am thinking of this morning is Alan Jackson's "Everything I love is Killing Me". It's got that chorus starter something like:

Everything I love is killing me
cigarettes, Jack Daniels and caffeine

Just those two lines says enough for me. I should stop smoking and drinking and try to stay away from the last one.... So what makes me think of that song this morning? I went drinking last night. If yer thinking I put one on, like I usually do, well yer wrong. For once in my life I was a good boy and was home actually early. But this morning made me think about my age again.

See, Saturday night was my friend's Christmas party, the Wife and I attended. It was wonderful time, seeing some folks we hadn't seen in a while, good food, and I had a few drinks. Well, Sunday morning, I felt I knew how Johnny Cash felt with "Sunday Morning Coming Down" except there was no way in Hell I was getting up to walk around town to see all that shit. As it was, I was in bed til like 12:30.

Then of course, my Redskins were playing the Raiders that afternoon, and my buds wanted me to join them. I had cleared this with the Wife the night before, so up to the bar I go. Game started at like 2pm, and I walked in the door about 12:30am. Needless to say, one could tell I had had a few. Monday morning, I don't know how I functioned. I felt groggy almost all day. Tuesday I felt better, so went out. Today, I feel a bit blah, but not as bad - cuz I was a good boy.

Bottom line is, I guess I can't handle knocking 'em back like I could a couple years ago. Over the past half a year, I have done so good about cutting back on my drinking, and trying to eat a little better, that I guess my body is liking it enough that when I do get a drink on, it rebels on me the next day. And I am getting older. I know, I may be a pup to some of ya's, but I am starting to feel the years, and all that I didn't do to take better care of myself.

So enough of that damn pity party. We oughtta go out and have a few drinks to celebrate life! Except I really don't feel up to it. How about I just raise my iced tea up and nod yer way? Works for me...

PeacE

No comments: