Tuesday, January 24

Public Libraries

As far back as I can remember, I have always loved going to the library. Yes, even those times I was required to go for research on school papers, or other class assignments, I still always thrived on going to a library. I still remember the first time my Dad got me a library card, and I was able to check out the first books on my own from that little library back in Kirklin, IN. I don't know the exact three books (personal limit for a kid's card) I had selected, but seem to recall they were in the fantasy fiction genre that I seem to love so much. The thrill when Dad allowed me to get an adult card in Frankfort, IN, though I was not even 11 years old yet, and being able to peruse through the even larger amount of books available... Oh! The personal joy!

There is nothing that brings a more satisfying feeling than going through shelf after shelf of books, and finding one, that after reading it just feels you with joy at finding it on your own. The fulfillment of looking up that research information for whatever reason, and the hunt through the Dewey decimal filing system to locate that specific article/book. The wonderment of all that information around oneself, be it for research, or entertainment, and feeling like you own and control it.

But I feel the way of the Public Library is slowly disappearing. I know many of you older (well, closer to my age anyways) readers would agree. With the internet growing and many places putting all the information out on the 'Web', the days of physical books is declining. Even I have not been in our local branch for nigh on 2 years now. Of course, budget cuts hurt libraries. I know our local branch has changed the hours of operation and cut them so badly, even my kids are unable to get time to go there for school work, as they close too early in the day. Some days, they are only available for a handful of hours.

Libraries offered so many services, and in the larger towns and cities, many of those services are available. Aside form the obvious 'borrowing' of books, services for computer access, media (video, DVD, CD), being able to reserve new releases, and periodicals (magazines, newspapers, etc), one could even just sit in there and read, without taking any materials from the place. 'Going to the library to Study' was always a valid excuse to parents to get out with friends - well, maybe for some people. I always preferred to actually go to the library. If someone didn't know certain information, they would go to the library to find out what they needed (in most cases). Now, the phrase is "Google it!" or "Look it up on the Web".

Physical books have character. As an avid reader, the feeling of a book open in my hands, turning the pages, feeling the weight of printed text on paper, all is a comforting feeling. It brings good memories of my friends (the books) that I have held and recall in my memories of how I traveled through worlds with them. How they taught me ideas and sometimes even, morals and ethics. How I learned how something works, or why and how it happened. The printed word was not the only thing there. Pictures of all shapes or sizes, in color, in plain black and white, and yes, sometimes even sketched. Oh, and how like real people these books are. Each has an odor that tells you about itself. That new book smell as you first open the pages was rare in a library, but sometimes you might be the second or third, and that scent lingered. Sometimes it was the smell of age, as if the book had been unused for many years, waiting for your questing for it to arrive. Many have worn corners, sometimes pages ripped and repaired by tape, sometimes not. Unknown marks and smudges from food, or dirt, or as many of us prefer, we don't want to know. Some I read, even let me know about previous readers and how they cared for the books by showing the bent corners of pages to mark reading spots (obviously did not know how to use a bookmark), or I could scent the smell of smoke from a cigarette, and occasionally a nice pipe.

I sigh with contentment. Yes, I love these places and for what I learned from them. I'm happy to say, that so far my older children have been able to have some sort of affection for books, though in the age of computers, I wonder if I should say, they show the love of reading. I wonder about if I should take them all for trip to our local branch, to let them experience a small portion of what I had when I was younger, before they are gone - the children and the libraries.

PeacE

No comments: