Tuesday, March 4

Beating Myself Up

Last night, after getting about halfway through my route, I realized I had messed up. For one of the techs, I had loaded the parts he was to receive, but I grabbed the wrong tech's paperwork (parts tickets and the route list of calls they are to do the next day). Then I started getting that stomach turning and twisting going on. In the end, I got in touch with my boss, explained what happened, and a possible solution (which involved me going early to the shop, and getting the right paperwork, then taking it to the tech) but he said not to worry about it. Of course, I proceeded to worry about my screw up.

I don't know where I picked up the habit of berating myself, internally, when I feel I really messed something up. Every instance I can think of, has always been work related. Maybe I stress about it more, because depending on the mistake, it could cost a person their job, or a much needed pay increase, or consideration for a position. I am not worried about any one of those things at this moment, but maybe that is some work ethic I have instilled in myself.

Needless to say, even though I apologized to my boss for my mistake, and he said not to worry, we would get it fixed in the morning, I still felt like crap. Even after a night's sleep, I feel bad, but there is nothing I can do at this point.

Sometimes, it sucks to be me.

PeacE

2 comments:

Rev Mom said...

Oh my! You ARE like me!! At least in that respect! I will lay awake most of the night rehashing what I did and how it occurred! GUILTY!! I'm proud of you for owning up to the mistake - THAT means more to your boss than the mistake itself! Good job, son!

Ed Bonderenka said...

It's called work ethic.
Closely related to integrity.
You haz it.
Congratulations.