Friday, July 4

Independence

I think most people nowadays treat today as only a day in the middle of summer that they don't have to go to work. Others as a chance to get family together to barbecue, or go out at night and watch/set-off fireworks. I don't blame them. My family has done that, too. Lord knows I love me some good pulled pork ... hamburgers and hot dogs are dang good too!

I was thinking, how should we celebrate Independence Day? I came across this from John Adams, to his wife, Abigail:

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.

Interesting that even then they said it should be celebrated with much fanfare. I know my household won't be doing all that this year. I think we are planning a quiet day. No family gatherings today. No plans (that I am aware of) of driving across town to watch some fireworks display tonight. We don't buy fireworks to set off ourselves, so that is out too. Yeah doesn't sound like much fun, but we will survive.

Hope y'all enjoy the day, however you spend it.


PeacE

No comments: