Tuesday, July 18

It's Probably My Fault

 I have probably mentioned about taking the Youngest out for his first driving experience back on the 4th. If I had, then I mentioned how it ended, with the car nearly over-heating, and the 'collapse' of the AC system. Well, I still had not gotten out to see if I could track down the over-heating situation - it has just been too hot (17 days in the Valley of 110+ heat). But yesterday evening, after picking up the Youngest from band camp, I forced myself to do it. Of course, Youngest did most of the "work" as I was also teaching him how to check the fluids, and where to put them, etc. Checked the coolant - the overflow was bone dry (shouldn't be) so figured that could be a good reason. Checked the oil, and this I get mad about, it was also bone dry on the dipstick. So now I figured out why it over-heated... to a degree. I told Youngest I would try to get to the store today and get coolant and oil, then we would top them off. Then we check for obvious leaks (no marks under the car, so not sure). Then we test drive it again. Then I'll take it to the shop to fix the AC (and possibly what else is wrong). Sigh.

Then I went out for a bit. I got a couple hours reading in before one of my friends came to hang out. At one point in the evening, my cane actually broke. It is a heavy-duty one I bought about seven years ago, and has been through some tough use. I guess the adjuster peg sheared off finally, and when I went to put some weight on it, the cane just collapsed in on itself. I nearly took a tumble onto the (blisteringly hot) pavement, but with a couple quick shuffles, help upright. I do have a couple 'back-up' canes here at the house. One is a crappy one from the dollar store, the other is one I made many years ago from an old grape vine. It looks nice - de-barked, sanded down, and sprayed with a clear finish. Last night when I got home, I whittled down the end a bit, and attached a rubber grip. The handle is bigger than what I like, but it will work for now.

Which brings up my other gripe - about the two canes I ordered. They had been delivered nearly a month ago to the wrong address (one about 2 miles from home). I have written USPS (home the tracking site said delivered it) with no responses, and I presume one will never come. It was a business complex where it was delivered, so no idea what suite it would have gone to, considering it had a house number. All I can guess is the Chinese site it was ordered from couldn't read English and fucked up the address. Oh, and the website? It is no longer available. So I am done, and am going to request my bank work the account to get back the $48 dollars I spent. I have proof it was delivered incorrectly, and have no means to contact the seller. Another pain in my .....

Gees, did anything good happen on Monday? Sure. Middle Son stopped by and we got to visit a short bit. He has a birthday coming up soon (turns 21!) and we tentatively made some plans for a possible b-day breakfast meal. The Daughter and family are planning to be up this weekend - still trying to figure out plans for that. The Wife has finally agreed to go to the VFW for steak night, which happens to be this Saturday. Can't beat $20/person for a 20 oz ribeye, baked potato, green beans and a salad. 

Welp, spent too much time writing here today - need to get back to work.

PeacE

No comments: