Wednesday, September 28

Getting Old and Falling Apart/Stimulating the Economy

Twenty years ago I made a trip to the hospital. It was 'sort-of' an emergency, and it took place in the pre-dawn hours of the morning. By 8am everything was good though, and phone calls were made to reassure family that things were fine. Also, to share joyous news that my daughter was born. I remember in those fast, few minutes as her lungs were cleared, and breathing started; the nurse didn't stop to rinse her off as they quickly did those first tests they do with newborns. It seemed within seconds the nurse was handing her into my arms, pink, mucus-covered, little thing, with her legs literally sticking straight-up by her ears. Tears were flowing form my eyes, as I leaned over as careful as I could to show her to her Mom. Our daughter was a breech baby. They had tried internal, and external manipulations to flip her around, but to no avail. Being her first pregnancy, and our regular OBGYN being out of town, the Doc on call (old-fashioned doc) made the call to do a C-section, rather than the possible attempt our regular doc had discussed with us. It's still a very sore point with the Wife.

So now the daughter is 20, has an apartment in another town, living on her own (though with monetary assistance from us). I'm 40 and though am trying to get my body back to healthier version of me, still somewhat falling apart from the use, abuse and agedness (that a word?) of my body. Kinda like my house. And my van. Speaking of house and van .....

I took the van up to the garage this morning after I did the work-out at the gym. About 3-4 weeks ago I had an oil leak that was due to a pinhole in the oil filter. Everything was good for about a week or two, then puddles started showing up again. I had other things keeping my attention, that I had to wait until today to get it in to the shop. Turns out there is a coolant leak at the gasket seal of the water pump. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the function of the water pump, but that will be looked at when they take it off to replace the gasket. In fact, I just called there to see if the quote they gave me includes the replacement of the pump - which it is full replacement of pump, gasket, coolant, etc. Plus they will check the misc hoses near that area for possible wear/tear/damages. Another several pretty pennies when all is said and done to fix that. 

Then..... Monday, I was out watching the game with friends, but when I got home, the Wife let me know she and one of the boys smelled like a 'burning rubber' type smell coming through the ventilation system of the house. Stepping outside they couldn't smell it in the air in the neighborhood, so the Wife shut off the AC. Turning it on later, there was no smell coming from the vents. Actually there was nothing coming from the vents. I am guessing the blower motor has gone kaput on us. Today I am calling some places referred by friends & family to get pricing for a service call, and possible repair. So far, I am looking at the near the same cost as it is to fix the van. More pretty pennies.

Soooo, tonight the Wife and I will sit and discuss where we are financially, and which one of those two things take the priority in getting fixed. 

If nothing else, I sure feel like I have been stimulating the economy this past year.

PeacE

No comments: