Friday, September 9

We Buy Gold!

Driving down the street yesterday, I counted no less than 5 of these signs in about a 5 mile stretch. Over the past 3-4 years, places that display them have grown in number in and around where I live. They even pay people to stand on the sidewalk, doing that sign spinning and flipping, out front. Every store is getting into the 'buy gold' phenomenon, from cigarette stores, to corner markets, to even a few basic businesses. It's almost like they are adding another source of income for themselves.

So what is the deal with all this 'We Buy Gold' stuff? I have seen in movies, newspapers, and heard as advice from stories and people, that gold is always the base currency. The depression hits, well, gold will be worth more than our 'paper' dollar. Better than credit. Been used for hundreds of years. Has the best monetary value in any market (being as a solid currency). Should one go out and start stockpiling gold in their bank deposit box? I don't know.

But with the increase in everyone wanting to buy your gold, and the fact that our US economy is not great, so people are selling their gold.... does it signal an oncoming crisis? An event that is approaching that would tear the financial world apart? That gold would once again be the only form of currency that would stand through such a crisis? Could it be so catastrophic, that maybe gold wouldn't even be good enough?

I have not sold any of my gold. In fact, I don't think there is even any amount of physical gold in my house, aside from maybe a few pieces of jewelry my wife has, and that is probably just a cheap plating of it. Nope, can't think of any piece of Au, aurum, shiny yellow stuff... in my house. My gold is my kids and my wife. My gold is the love we share, that feeling of family and togetherness. That we will be together no matter what crisis comes along, in heart if not in body. That's real gold. And yeah, that's worth alot more than some shiny metal. Maybe others need that kind of love.... and are just trying to get it.

'We Buy Gold'.... makes a little more sense now.

PeacE

No comments: