Thursday, September 3

Did the Bottom Just Fall Out?

 I started my new job today.

I quit my new job today.

It wasn't as fast, nor as complete, as that. 

Truth is I did start online training for a project that is estimated to last about a week. I got through the training, the team meeting in regards to the project. Details are basically analyzing data breach information and tagging/flagging items of certain content related to personal to finance, to medical. Pretty cool stuff. Got through all of that, and went to log into the software to start, and there is a glitch. I can't get logged in. there were a few others that could not as well. 

As time ticked and I sat waiting for them to let me know things had been fixed/reset/whatever, I got an email from the HR department requesting a second form of ID, and they had to have it today, or I would be let go. I lost my SS card. I noticed it awhile back, but have not been to the SSA offices here as they are closed for COVID restrictions. I don't have a birth certificate available (RM, not your fault... it's just gone somewhere). Needless to say, after an hour, I still could not log in the system, so informed the team lead that I needed to try to get this issue resolved, otherwise I would have to back out of the project.

I went online. SSA website would not let me create an account with them to request a replacement card. I called the local office, and actually spoke to a person (don't know if they were at the office, or a call center somewhere else in town) who directed me to another office that handles all issues with card replacements. I called that office, recording told me that it could only be requested in person at that location. Drove over there (about 15 miles) and the parking lot is empty. I walk tot he doors to see if there is anything posted about what I should do, and a security guards opens the door and says they are closed until further notice. I explained my issue, and he said I have to mail an application for request for a replacement, to that exact office. But who is checking the mail, or doing the work if the office is closed????

So, a wasted trip. I get back home and I look up about getting a copy sent of my birth certificate. It would be coming from Indiana, and the Vital Statistics there...oh man.... it's only $10 plus postage (which isn't listed in the fees). The main website says it is a 25 day process, but on top of that, they are running an additional 45 days over. Next option is a third-party.... but would that be quicker than the governmental branch? It sure is a hell of a lot more expensive. To have A copy (one copy) mailed to me, the fee is $75. The have a copy that can be emailed and I print it out (all in theory, because I don't see how that can be considered certified without the creased stamp like a notary) is only $55. But both options say nothing about how long the process actually takes... Her eis what each third-party site says:

"Each US state offers varying waiting times between 1 to 8 weeks to receive your Vital Records Certificate"

Up to two months?!? Whooooaaaa.... There is no fast solution to my problem. I do not have a passport. Either way I ended up notifying the Team Lead that due to the situation not being able to be resolved quickly, I had to back out of the project. Another email was sent to the recruiting department, explaining what happened, informed them I needed to remove myself from the project, and be placed on BUSY status with the company until I can resolve it all. Once one of them get here, I can go ACTIVE and hopefully get into the next available project. 

But now we are looking at a minimum of two months for either to get here.... and I need both in theory anyways. Might as well finish out the damn year without a job.

Sigh.

PeacE

No comments: