Thursday, September 24

Little Surprises

  No real surprise here, but I am not asleep. in fact, I haven't been able to fall asleep yet tonight. I have tried twice, about an hour each time, with no luck. So, going for the "third try is the charm" thought....

The Daughter is a crafty one. By that I mean she has the craft gene of my family, and loves to do the artsy-craftsy stuff. From scrap-booking with her MIL, to making costumes for Comicon events. She sews quite a bit as well, as has made some very nice 'mother and daughter' outfits for her and my Doodad. She has a sewing project she loves to do, and I admit I am not fully aware of what it entails, but here is the basic idea. She gets these patterns, like you would get from the '70s (similar to this)



Now, I am not sure if the patterns are just adjusted patterns for a bit larger-sized woman, or if they are like the petite ones shown on the package, and the Daughter is not a small woman. But the end result is she makes the pattern, or makes the adjustments, and sends in pictures of her modeling the end result with notes about difficulty, special notes, etc. 

The point I am building up to, is that her husband takes the photos of her, in different poses. Tonight while he was taking a couple of pics, the Doodad says something along the lines of 'Daddy, I want you to take pictures of me, too' and so he did several, which the Daughter then sent to us. Here is one of them...

She is one of the most beautiful things in my world! The Daughter ended up posting a few of the pics on FB and the Wife made the best comment "his is what a 3 year old should look like ... messy hair-don't care, paint, and a whole lot of happiness." Truly a wonderful little surprise...

And continuing on the topic of little surprises, The Wife brought me one tonight. After work she had swung by our old house, to try to box up a bit of the final stuff there. Once she arrived home, she handed me a stack of business cards, explaining that while moving some stuff around, had found this stack laying on the floor near where the trashcan would have been near my desk. Not knowing if I had meant to throw them out, or whatever, she brought them home to me. I was in the middle of doing something... I think working on my ebook libraries on the computer, and I casually flipped through the top couple of cards, seeing that they were business cards of people I know/met. I said ok thanks, and set them aside to go through after a bit since I was in the middle of something.

The Wife taps me on the shoulder, and says I should go through the stack right now. I look over my shoulder at her, giving her the old stink-eye look, you know, the one like 'What do you know about it?'. I gave the appropriate eyeroll, sighed and grabbed up the stack. First card was a drink voucher for the pub I go to. I think, oh... if these are old cards I meant to toss, that must have gotten there by mistake. Second card is a Burger King gift card, that I think I never have used. Why would that be tossed? Next couple cards are cards for my car insurance agency... always like to carry a couple to hand out when I can. As I am going through: Barnes & Noble gift card (I need to use that soon before they close the store near my house); a couple old cards for a title agent I knew (those got tossed - she is no longer there). Then it got really weird.... my voter registration card, a couple current business cards of two close friends, and .... my Social Security Card.

HOLY SHIT! My social security card! OMFG!! I have been dealing off and on for weeks trying to get a replacement card (with no luck still) and The Wife found my card, on the floor, mixed up with a bunch of business cards, near the trash can. She could have just tossed them in the trash thinking I missed the can when cleaning out the desk or something. My social security card.... I almost pulled a Redd Foxx impersonation.....


So, the best I can figure, is that at some point in time...back when we still were in that house, my wallet got knocked off my desk. I keep the cards upright in the "cash" area of my wallet, and they probably fell out. From there, being in the middle of packing and who knows what, the stack of cards got pushed around and ended up between the wall and the trash can. Best I can think of anyways. The good part of this is now I can go back and activate my status at the Job I had to drop a few weeks ago. So hopefully will be able to start again soon.

Little Surprises.... what a day for them....

PeacE

1 comment:

Rev Mom said...

Don't you just love surprises?! Gifts from God. :-)