Friday, September 28

Homecomings and Birthdays

When it comes to being a parent, and having kids start reaching those high school years, in a sense, it made me feel more old, than joyous. Of course, each birthday one of mu kids celebrate, makes me almost wince and rush to the bathroom to check for new signs of aging. No, I am not really that vain, but the basis of the thought....

My little girl is 16 today. Sweet Sixteen. She is the first of my four, and the only girl. Talk about a twist in the ol' heart. She's a sophomore; marching band cadet; honor roll student; my baby girl.

Tonight is her school's Homecoming celebration. Of course, she being in the band will be performing during the halftime break. Afterwards, she has already asked, and been given permission to go with several band members to a pizza place nearby for food after the game. She's always been good about getting a ride (from someone we approve) and being home by 12 at the latest. The two older boys enjoy going to the games and watching her perform. Of course, the oldest boy, is just taking up French horn now (in 4th grade).

So, tonight, I am not going to her performance or the game. In fact, I might end up working late - not sure yet. But the Wife and I decided we should do something extra for the daughter today. I get to miss the game to pick up balloons, and crepe paper, and other stuff they hang for birthdays at parties. Yeah, and then I am to go to the pizza place ahead of the band, to prep it for her. Personally, I would have been thoroughly PO'ed if my parents were to do this to me in high school. Of course, they never let me hang out after games... but that is a different post.

Think my baby girl will enjoy it? I hope so. Not much more surprise and all I could afford to do at this time. Guess we'll know in about 5 hours.

She is getting all growed up on me. That just saddens me a little. But I am sure I will get over it.

PeacE

No comments: