Friday, June 5

I Could Kill Kodak

I remember back several years ago, when I was a much younger boy, and CD's weren't around and VHS/Beta were the rave. And even some time before them. But I would love to go to Grandma's house and we would beg them to get out the old 8mm soundless films they had taken over the years. Mostly it was stuff prior to my being born, but there were a few years after, that I was, too, a film star. Then after watching reels of film, I would want to go through photo albums for hours. Especially if it had anything of my Dad in them. I still like to do that. Grandma has even put together a few albums for each of us siblings, of special pics of our Dad through his years prior to his passing. It was a great gift. My uncles one year took all the film reels and had them put on to VHS tape. A few years back the grandparents gave me an edited tape with mostly stuff of my Dad, and his family. Yeah, pictures and films were such a wonderful back then.

Now I can't stand pictures. I am tired of looking at them, touching them, trying to figure out who-what-when-where-how old-why and label each one correctly. Oh, and let's not leave out scanning the damn things. Yeah, back to scanning.

We (being the Wife and I) went through the three boxes of photos we have and selected certain photos to complete this project I had been working on. No biggee. I actually got them all done. Now I have to figure which pics came from which package and put them back. The Wife was good and many are numbered, as are the packages.

So why do I hate photos so much? Because of sensible ideas. This particular idea is - since we have dug ALL our pictures out from the storage/shed/albums/etc, why don't you just scan them so we can have ALL photos on disc? Yeah, I started THAT project yesterday. Most packages are easy to date/explain. Oh, that was Easter of 2002, or that was the 1st SeaWorld trip and the kids were this old... But then there are many I look at and wonder, who is that person, or which newborn kid of mine is this? Luckily, the choices are narrowed a bit as David wasn't born until we had gone digital (thank a god).

Okay, enough raving about that. Now you kow how I am spending most of my early summer. At least it is inside and air-conditioned, plus I can work at my own pace. Just wish I was getting paid more than self-satisfaction.

My sights are set on Indiana now. As of this morning, I have paid for the flight and rental car for my trip. I am leaving Phoenix and spending 10 days in Indiana and Michigan. I even emailed out my itinerary to friends/family I hope to visit this morning and replies have started arriving. If anyone is interested, I am arriving July 17th and leaving the 27th. Both to/from Indianapolis. I am so excited!!!

I'll have to see about borrowing a laptop or something so I can blog whilst on the trip. Then again, maybe I won't. I don't know. But what is sort of funny is when I get back, the Wife will be gone with the boys already to camp for a week. Another week with just the daughter - who will be able to cook my meals. Life works out good sometimes.

Alright, I gotta get back to work. See y'all later.

PeacE

No comments: