Tuesday, January 12

Things that are just making me angry today

I don't know about this post title, but at my humble abode, there has been a troll ... a very, angry troll ... roaming around. He has been roaring, and threatening, and cajoling. His eyes are bloodshot and filled with a look of such utter... I shudder to think of a word to describe them eyes.

I will admit he has been a somewhat good troll, though. He hasn't thrown any items that have been within his reach. No holes in walls, or broken windows; nothing strewn about and tossed; nothing kicked (and causing sore toes). But now, he has calmly sat down in my chair, and you can just see that inner rage simmering down to a very, hot, little flame in the center.... it reflects in his eyes. Be wary, knocking on the door this morning.

This troll even has a name. It's Ralphd00d.

At 6:30am the day started to look pretty good to me. The daughter had a ride to school, so I didn't have to get up and rush right away. Sis had emailed me the information needed to transfer a modem from her calling plan to mine. Everything was hunky-Dorey. Until I called Verizon. Two hours later, 5 people, 6 phone calls (not including all of mine to actually GET Customer Service), and a cancellation later.... nothing is resolved.

It all comes down to a factor that I think is being used too much in this day and age - the credit score. A simple little thing, that for some reason is controlling how seemingly every business is using to limit a person and what they can do. Geez, sounds close to government plans... and here I go getting pissed again.

Yes, I feel the need for certain enterprises to rely on a credit rating of an individual (s) for certain things. I worked in the real estate and mortgage business for over 12 years. Definite a decent credit rating would be needed for any type of large purchase... house, car, boat. I could even see using it to open a charge card account. Obviously, that includes for any type of loan through an institution.

Sure! I have no problem for that use. Yes, I authorize a credit check for that purpose. I understand the need to feel more secure in a large transaction of credit (ability to pay back).

But this is what I DON'T understand: for cable TV (maybe I could see this - the box/dish if provided, but for cable-ready TV?); some utility companies; but for an existing, in good-standing, cell phone account?

Our cell phone company, recently was bought out/taken over/absorbed by a larger one. I am sure you can guess who. Many, many years ago, when our account was first opened for one cell phone (mine) my credit rating was not at their "standard". As the years have gone by, and we have added other lines (wife, daughter) for some reason, still my rating is not good enough. We have always used the Wife's, which lists her as PRIMARY on the account. It was ALWAYS adjusted (through multiple visits to the office in town, and on phone with their 'customer service') to have me be able to make all transactions/changes to account as necessary - even though I was not listed as the PRIMARY. Well, this 'new' company we have, doesn't see it that way, and never informed us of 3 (yes only 3 they say) stipulations that as non-PRIMARY I cannot get accomplished without my Wife. One of which was the addition of a modem to the account. A transfer of service requiring an Assumption of Liability. No prob! Pshaw!

Needless to say, on a three-way call, in order to add this modem to our (previously described) account (in good standing for many years) requires a new credit check. EVEN UNDER THE WIFE'S NAME. Why? It was good enough to have 3 phones on... what's one more? It's not a business account. And every pull someone does on your credit just starts the opportunity to bring it down lower... just by multiple pulls - be it the same company or several.

It all seems so simple now. Really. Just build a time-machine to encompass the whole universe and flip it back in time... I dunno, 60 years or so? I could handle those days. I sure would love raising my kids back then. Values, honesty, hard work. some one's word was his word.



The flame has gone down enough that this troll is tired now. Feelings of frustration linger, but drained of energy, the troll doesn't feel as destructive as 15 minutes ago.... when on the phone .. with some damn company's "customer service".

HB, I read about how you recently have (or are in the process) of looking for new insurance; and read about how in the past the computer and cable issues that have led you into the "many, many calls syndrome".... I give you kudos. The patience required, to repeatedly explain, cajole, demand, expect, confirm, etc, etc on the phone.... multiple times. Whew.... don't know how you do it.

Out of high school, for a few years I did medical billing. I worked up from a file clerk to "claims adjuster" to the accounting department. Backing up a little bit, at one point, my job was dealing with calls to/from the patient/spouse/insurance regarding the collection/payment/satisfaction of their account. From that CSR experience, I have the utmost patience when someone is upset at what is happening, and need it resolved, and I can't do anything. I am sitting there knowing it isn't me, and this is just my job. But when it IS you, man... I can't tolerate it. And I know, that the Rep I am talking to, is just 'doing their job' like I used to do.

And for some weird reason, that pisses me off more.

** SIGH **

I am done for the day.

PeacE

4 comments:

Editor said...

I would read your post but your credit score is too low

KeesKennis said...

Go and kill something at the Editor's ranch/club/chickenhouse.
Why do you think he sounds even remotely sane.
You will feel better.

sis said...

Try negotiating Short Sales with banks that keep merging...or better yet, dropping your calls after you have been transferred and on hold for 30 minutues plus. Today the bank told me the didn't have my "authorization" on file. Really? Not from April 2008, September 2009, December 2009 and January of 2010?? No Authorization at all?? Guess they will be receiving a faxed authorization for this file every day for the next 30 days! HA!

I feel you, Lil Brother.

Joe said...

Brother, I don't have the patience. I deal with customers giving me shit every day. try to be nice, but sometimes I lose it. I had the same issue with our cable. We have had cable for 20 years. I always handle any issues (moving, adding boxes, etc.) paying the bill -- often in person. A few months ago I went to ask about adding DVR and the ysuddenly said I was not authorized, in fact the account had a note that said I specifically was UNAUTHORIZED. I had to drag the wife up there after work (of course they close at 4:00!) to get ot fixed.

Can anyone explain why credit scores are used to set your auto insurance rates? How does my inabilty to handle money affect my ability to drive?