Thursday, October 27

... And Goes On ....

Yesterday's post title just seemed to fit really well for me. In fact, it was so well, that it carried into today as well. Actually, I should back up just a hair.

Yesterday evening, the Wife brought home the classified ads from her parent's house, as she usually does 3-4 times a week. Aside from trying to encourage me to find employment, I don't know why she does it. After all, I do check the classifieds from the local news rag online, which have more ads than the printed version. Shrug. Anyways, not going into detail about how my employment situation is going (perhaps a post another time) I did come across an ad that I felt was compatible. For basic purposes, it was for a Warehouse Associates at a wage that would be acceptable. Looking for day or night, full-, part-, or seasonal work. The address for applications was given (actually 2) one of which is very close to my residence. Then, they also added to go online (website provided) to speed up the interview process, and apply online as well.

The website address didn't give away any real info - as far as the name of the company, etc, so I went ahead and looked it up. A placement agency. I frowned. I am not big about using these types of services when looking for employment. I just don't feel comfortable thinking that I could be assigned (or re-assigned) to any location or type of company, across the whole Valley area. Yeah, I like to think that even though it would be a similar type job position, I have seen several companies I wouldn't want to work for in town. And knowing my luck....

Either way, this placement agency was placing positions for the Amazon.com warehouse here in Phoenix. Here? In Phoenix? Were my first thoughts. Doesn't sound bad. Actually, they were looking for three type of positions. One I knew I did not have the experience they would require; but the other two were more non-experience needed type. The site had a small chat window that pops up to ask questions of a live person. I simply asked the location(s) of the actual facilities, so I would have more of an idea where I would need to drive. Ugh, turns out they are both around 15-20 miles away. Sure, doesn't sound bad, but freeway traffic in rush hour here is terrible.... and only about 2/3 of it would be freeway. Roads can be much worse (traffic, not condition).

So I am debating it. Kind of cool be working for a DotCom company as big as Amazon, and maybe get some sort of employee discount, too? That would be nice - especially for my Kindle! Which brings me to the continuation of yesterday.

This morning as I was bringing my Kindle from the bedroom, I accidentally dropped it. Not the first time it has been dropped, or bumped against something. I have a nice padded leather covering for it - seems to protect it pretty good. But now it has lines on the screen and won't power up. I got onto Amazon.com and read the troubleshooting guides, working every possible solution to see if would return to a working order. No luck.

The Reverend Mother was nice enough (because normally I would not have done it) to purchase a two-year Accidental Damage Handling warranty on the device. I was leery of calling it though. Because it was dropped (accidentally damaged in my opinion) would they be so contractually strict about the extent of the damage, etc. My pessimism coming through, obviously. But I called. The phone call lasted maybe 8-10 minutes. My new (or possibly refurbished) Kindle of equal type (or newer, at their choosing) is due here on Oct 31 (2 day shipping) and they are emailing me the postage paid label to tape on the box and return this one.... all within 30 days.

Freaking AWESOME! So, recap: replacement Kindle of equal (or possibly newer) type - but having at least the all the same capabilities (if not maybe more?) to be here, providing me with a box to send the broken one back, AND a postage paid label to boot. I am impressed.

Though, I am still thinking about the job with Amazon.com warehouse.... Seems to be yet another reason to like this company.

PeacE

No comments: