Thursday, October 6

Babysitting Time

Parkinson's Disease is a terrible thing. I remember back years ago, I had no clue as to what it was. Images of Michael J. Fox announcing he had it, but you didn't see anything wrong with him. TV coverage of the Olympics, when Muhammed Ali was there to light the torch. You could see the trembling in his arms and hands. Ohhhh, that's what Parkinson's is, I thought.

My Father In Law has spent over 40 years working for American Missionary Fellowship (AMF) in the state of Arizona, and most of the SW region of the US. The job involved many, many hours on the road, traveling weekly among churches in his 'area', covering vacations of pastors, guest speaking, etc. About 2 years ago, aside from seemingly normal age-related things starting to happen, the family started noticing larger signs. It came to a head that summer while he was in Crown King with my daughter for Vacation Bible School, that his skills in driving had started to worsen. Luckily she was there and was able to complete the VBS week, and do the driving home.

Needless to say, after many tests, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. It is crushing to watch the effects of the disease deteriorate this once active man. For many years, he would hike the Grand Canyon at least twice a year; three times a week up local mountain trails in town; constantly physically active, and the travelling. Now Parkinson's has him barely able to walk, it is hard for him to stay on track in a conversation, and process things being said to him. Memory lapses are more than common, though, some of things he remembers and brings up in slow conversations (at least with me) are still signs he hasn't given up.

This morning I am going over to sit with Dad so Mom can get out to get some grocery shopping down. I hate doing it, because I feel so uncomfortable having to stop him, almost like a child, from doing things he can't control (ie. getting into the ice cream, undressing in the living room, etc.). I love him, but some things I would rather not have to do. I guess I am a bit selfish about that. The family is talking and searching for some kind of hospice/LTC that can handle the daily care that is wearing Mom down, but the search is terrible. They either want them to lose money in income, or sign over all the income to them. It's ridiculous how that system works, though, some of it I can understand. But I also feel it should be based on individual cases.

Shrug. I can't change it today. I need to head over to Dad's.

PeacE

2 comments:

Reverend Mother said...

I know this is hard, son, but I am proud of you for helping them. love you.

Anonymous said...

Respite care. Some assisted living centers will let you pay a daily rate & let an adult spend the day(adult daycare)&
give the caregivers some respite. You also might check into stay at home helpers. Depending upon your market, non medical caregivers will come to your home(for pay of course) & stay X hours.

Best wishes

Sine Nomine