Friday, April 27

Checking the Calendar

The end of April is pretty much here, and looking back over the calendar, it looks like it was a pretty slow month. In my mind though, I feel it was much busier. I only see two things that were marked that were of enough interest/notice that I had to mark them on the calendar. I guess it is the impromptu things, like Preacher Tom's 75th birthday dinner we did last Sunday, that fill in as those busy moments. It is always better to have good memories rather than datebook with a schedule. This weekend is filled out to end the month with the Wife attending a women's retreat for the church. A one-day event that she is going with Reverend Mother on Saturday, and I will spend the day at home with the boys.

I flip the month page, and slightly grimace at the amount of things going on in May. It starts early with me taking  RM & PT to the airport for their trip to Indiana. From there, it is almost 5 weeks of end of school stuff: concerts, trips, and promotion events (8th grade, and I assume Kindergarten). The Daughter is even coming home for a week, on break from her school. I know the Wife and I will be trying to find some time in there somewhere to talk about a possible family trip for the summer, or later in the year.

I spent yesterday having lunch with RM, and this morning having breakfast with PT. Aside from regular bits of 'catch-up' conversation, both have asked about our plans for the summer. I flinch when I hear that word 'summer'. Here in Arizona, the first thing to pop into my mind is the sweltering heat. I would almost swear sweat instantly appears on my forehead. This summer looks to be a hotter one than the past few, as it is already been over 100 here in April. Our winter was warm, and it is just leading into literally, one hell of a summer. It would be nice to get out of town for a weekend or something, if we can decide what to do, or where to go, without it costing a fortune.

After breakfast this morning I helped RM & PT with a couple things. I had showed them how to get Amazon.com's daily list of free books from the best sellers list, and for PT, how to download to his Kindle Fire he got for his birthday. He seems really excited to get a few books so he will have something to read on their trip, though I don't know when he may have time to read with all the family visiting, etc they are doing while in Indy. I helped RM get some pictures from her old blackberry phone to d/l on to her computer. It isn't often now they call me asking for help on the computers. I guess they are getting more literate, or software is becoming more user-friendly (for the ones they use anyways). A little more of me having to let them grow up and become independent, like I struggle with for my kids.

Sheesh, on that, now that I feel like an old fogey, I am going to try to find something to do that isn't on the computer.

PeacE

No comments: