Friday, April 20

The Elusiveness of Sleep

In my past, I have had my bouts of insomnia. My times of restlessness wen trying to retire for the night. The late night stress and worrying thoughts that keep coming to mind. Even the middle of the night wakings for the babies (thankfully not more than one at a time). Each time it happened, it was dealt with. Sometimes a nap, or earlier bedtime the next evening. Though there have been times where I have gone several nights without any sleep, that was years ago, when I was younger. I feel the toll now, when sleep eludes me.

The other night, I retired to my bedroom at the same time as usual. Brought in my Kindle, settled into bed. I read a bit longer, as I was at the end of the current book. But still I had problems getting to sleep. I awoke at the usual time the next morning (once I did get to sleep) and felt tired most of the day. No naps, lay down to rest, nothing of the sort. I wanted to push the tiredness so I would hopefully sleep better that evening. We had a good dinner out, and I was comfortably full; the drowsy feeling was starting upon me. I went through the normal routine at the regular time, anticipating falling asleep.

And it happened. Slumber overtook me.

Then dropped away quickly a few short hours later, after I awoke from a startling dream. It was gone. I laid there trying to recapture slumberland, but between the fast beating of my heart, and the surge of adrenaline that felt like it was pulling a Nascar race in my bloodstream, I knew there was no going back. After about 45 minutes of trying, I finally decided I might as well arise and greet the day. Only, the day wasn't out yet. The sun not risen from it's Eastern bed.

As usual, Facebook was a time waster.

PeacE

No comments: