Tuesday, September 25

Another No Win Situation

Yesterday I wrote about going into the store of the service provider for my Daughter. The whole cable modem deal. I was on edge as I did not want to get so angry that I was yelling, and throwing around explicatives. Though, by the time we left, I sure thought that it was stupid of me to hold back. After awhile, I realized that I saved things somewhat, by holding back. Cox is the only provider for services in the area of town where the Daughter lives, so if I had lost my anger bad enough, she could have ended up without service at all. But I am still very disappointed in the company.

We set up their service just a little over a year ago. The package deal suscribed to was for up to 18Mbps download speeds. For one person there, it was working fine. However, anytime someone else was over, and at least 2 computers were on the service, things would freeze up and the modem had to be reset constantly. Last week, the Daughter found out the modem she had been given at the start of service, was only capable of handling up to 10Mbs, hence the lock-ups when more than 1 person was trying to be on the internet. The easy solution, was for Cox to just swap out the modem for one that can handle the service we have been paying for. Instead, the declined to do so. The asshat had the balls to tell me that at the time we started service, the 10Mbps modem was the only product they had - even though they were selling services for a higher amount! To top that off, they now had modems to handle the higher amount, but it was going to cost me ANOTHER $130 to get one, and I could not trade in the current modem for any credit.

Needless to say, we left. I went over to Fry's electronics, found a Motorola modem for less than they were charging. And now I plan on writing a letter to the corporate offices, letting them know what I think of their low-level dealing. They should have told us that in their product (the modem) would only handle so much, and if we wanted better, we should purchase our on our own, a different modem. Instead they just sold us one (because I paid $80 for the modem) with no warning of the lower limits.

Yeah, I am still a bit peeved. Best I can hope for is maybe some sort of coupon for credit on a billing. But I ain't holding my breath.

Today is looking to be a long one. I don't what it is exactly yet, but my allergies are making life pretty crappy about now. The particulate count in the air today is terrible, and I am coughing and blowing my nose constantly. The drainage is turning off any desire to eat anything. Lucky me.

PeacE

No comments: