Tuesday, September 18

Drainage and Wind Damage

Arizona is known for being a desert land. No one really associates the forests of the northern part of the state, just the Grand Canyon. That, and it is always being hot is the other typical thought. Granted we do have deserts galore, and two things that go with deserts is drainage and wind damages. Maybe not so much wind damage as, say, the Sahara. I mean, yeah, Yuma has the sand dunes there, and they kick up some scouring sand particles. Mostly I would say it is just the hard, sun-baked topsoil, that the wind helps strip away. and that topsoil, that's where our drainage issues come from. Any time we have a large downpour, the rain just is not soaked into the earth as fast, causing flash floods, etc.

About 20 years ago, all these combined damages, and I am sure some other things that even I don't understand, created the effect of me having allergies. Weird I know. Back in the day (or so I read) if someone had bad allergies or whatnot, they were told to move to AZ for the dry air climate. Myself, I grew up in central Indiana and never had an allergy problem. But a few years after moving here, I have developed one, and it does not like me.

The Doctor says it is just 'general allergies' meaning, no reason to really test for what is exactly causing it, as it is more than likely a seasonal pollen of some sort. I don't know, but they are year-round, and granted, some seasons are worse than others. OTC drugs don't seem to help anymore. My next option is go get a kentalog (sp?) shot form the doc that should help for a few short months. Yeah, you know me and doctors don't do well so that ain't happening too soon.

A few days past, we had a day of higher wind speeds than average, gusting upwards of 30 mph. Doesn't sound like much, but it is more than enough to kick up the pollen count, and other undesirable elements in the from the ground and plants. To counter that, I have done my best to be indoors more, so as to not be affected so much. Now, several days later, I think some of that undesirable crap in the air has worked it's way into the ventilation system. How do I know? Because this morning's activities have been a large amount of sneezing and blowing of the nose. And drainage. Nothing like having snot run down the back of the throat in a seemingly constant trickle.

I know, I know. You think that is gross, but its snot.

PeacE

No comments: