Thursday, August 30

I feel better - sort of

Last week Scottsdale Princess had a post and a re-direct to this page. I clicked it and did my small part for humanity. So I sort of feel better. Not that I am a big believer in charities, unless it comes to myself. But Leukemia is not a bad charity.

Several years ago - I am wanting to say like 6 but not sure -my sister was diagnosed with a form of leukemia. Luckily, they were able to catch it somewhat early and her radiation and chemo treatments started. Like in most cases of radiation therapy, she lost her hair. I have a picture somewhere at home of the three of us (bro, sis and I) with our heads shaved/bald. Stuman had his cut down for the Army reserves, and I shaved mine to make Sis feel better.

Anyways, during this time, things had gotten further along that she was going to need a bone marrow transplant. Per past procedures, usually a family member is the best "match" for this type of transplant. My sister had asked me to quit smoking and drinking so that my blood would be pure enough to be tested. I lasted a week before the bro-in-law told me that it made no difference, and that Sis was just seeing how long I would go without a smoke or a drink. I still owe her for that (in case you are reading Sis).

No one in the family matched close enough to donate. Side note - my bro and I matched perfectly if one of us were to have the need. Finally a match was found through the system of national donors, and her transplant took place. For 30 days she was not allowed to leave the hospital as they had to be sure no infections or rejections were taking place. After that, she would be allowed to leave UMC, but had to stay within a couple miles with a caretaker 24 hours a day, and come in for daily treatments still. Fortunately, I was working for my sis & BIL at the time in real estate, and I was the one that traveled to Tucson to stay with her in a furnished apartment. Regardless what the dr's said, each weekend we left and returned to Phoenix as she missed her kids, and I had my family as well. After that month, she returned home and only occasionally had to return for follow up visits.

So after these past years, she has been in complete recovery/remission - whatever ya call it. So I guess donating a few bucks for Leukemia might not be a bad thing. Feel special inside.

PeacE

No comments: