Friday, December 2

Dead is Dead

I found out earlier today, that someone I knew had died. His name was Pat. I didn't know him like a best friend; but I had known him for a few years. He was part of 'Our Crew' when I started the Over the Line in San Diego back in '06, and was there still this past summer when I went again after a hiatus. And even those years I wasn't able to go, he was there, plus I saw him here locally at our regular drinking hole.

He died this morning.

People do that, don't they? I mean, he wasn't young and like 20-something. He was old enough to be retired and "working some" or whatever he wanted to do. Hell, in today's economy, that would be saying more...

His name was Pat. I have downed innumerable drinks with the man, and to my disgrace, I never even knew his last name. I never knew his family, wife, or anything else.

I remember, not every time I saw him, but most were the same: have a few drinks together (if at the pub) or at least toast who's house we were at for whatever party. And definitely not leave out the OTL trips in the summer to San Diego - though, those details, well, even *I* don't disclose all.

The word I heard, he was up in Northern AZ, hunting Elk. This morning, he was dropped off where he wanted to be. After a bit of time, he wasn't answering his cellphone, so they got back round to where he was, and found him propped up next to a tree. I heard he was smiling, though he had passed away.

I hope he went that easy. I think everyone hopes that anyone that dies goes easy.

I'm still a bit depressed about it. Pat was one of those people you just instantly love. I have never seen him sad, mad, depressed, or anything negative. And I feel worse, I think, that I didn't know him better than what I did. Pat was still one of those few, that if asked, I would drop everything, give everything, for, if he asked.

And I still didn't know him.

And already, the world is a sadder place without him.

Rest in PeacE


Pat is on the left in this pic from July 2011 at OTL



No comments: