Wednesday, July 8

Christmas Comes in July

Hello early morning hours, again. It's not my favorite to see you, Early Hours, but at least today you came with something... Now if I could just figure out what it is/was.

I remember going to bed around 9:30 last night, and doing a little reading before actually trying to sleep. I woke when the Wife came to bed... no idea the time, but guessing around midnight, the usual. Then tossing and turning a bit as I was hot, and couldn't get cool. Somewhere about there I dozed off.

I rolled over and folded the covers (sheet, top blanket and comforter - though it's summer here, and I only have the sheet) back, and kind of laid there gathering my senses as I woke. I knew it was the day after Christmas, and I was in the home of my high school years. (RM, that would have been 4th Ave. for reference). For some reason, I was waking up in what was my brother's room, and a single bed. I get up and head to the bathroom for the regular morning duties. I'm wearing pajamas. I'm talking PJs like the 1950's. Usually I make do with gym shorts. That's odd. Finished in the bathroom I head down the hall towards the living room, where I can hear a television on. Mys sister is on one couch, asleep, to the left of me. On the right is 'Fro' - a friend of my brother's from high school, asleep on another couch. Large, plasma screen hanging above a mantle and fireplace (wasn't that on the other wall when I lived here?) And in the corner where Mom's chair sat was a nicely sized, live fir tree, with presents under it. I knew looking at the presents, that the majority in front and sides were for my brother, sister, and her husband. I also just knew that there were a few in the far back, in the corner, that were for me. But I wasn't concerned about them. I had opened most gifts the day before (Christmas) but had no recollection of what I supposedly got. And why hadn't anyone else opened theirs?

Can tell by the light peeking around the drapes/shades that it must be early morning hours... I'm thinking like 5-6 am. Coffee sounds good (note: I haven't had coffee for breakfast in years). The dining and kitchen areas have moved around from what I remember, and gotten larger. Plus there are about 20 people milling around the dining table and kitchen table, or standing at the counter. All of them are eating, drinking, and talking. I flip the switch for the kitchen light, because it seems dark, and as I walk through the first few people I realize the lights are on, they are just dim (I have no idea why). I look around and realize I know these people. They are acquaintances from school, previous jobs.... There is that low hum of conversation, like an morning meal in a diner in a small town. It buzzes, but not loudly. I pass the first kitchen island (first? there's more than one?) and stop as someone is cutting into a French Silk pie. I mention to them to save me a slice. I don't care for French Silk pie.... why would I do that?

I'm still walking towards the kitchen area, that contains a smaller table. There is a group of about 5-6 females I recognize from HS band (again, why?) and I start opening cabinets, looking for instant coffee, but even coffee grounds to brew if that is what I find first. The whole time I am searching, the thought about the presents under the tree, and how happy I was my wife and kids had a good day on Christmas (though I have no idea why they are not here, and no other real thought of them). Finally I find a jar of instant coffee, turn to get a cup, and realize everyone has left. There are dishes all over the place - same with half-eaten food still on them. I sigh and start picking them up to gather for washing - - and I wake up in real life. 

I lay there in bed, trying to piece together the above for a few minutes. Where would this have come from? Yesterday I must have seen/read/heard something to bring on a dream like that.... I watched some NCIS on netflix.... read some Stephen King short story and started another fantasy novel before bed. I don't watch TV as a rule, and hadn't gone anywhere.

At that point, I realized I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. I decided try to write it out, see if I could remember anything other details. Aside from the details I was able to remember to put out above, most anything else was like a "feeling" that this is what it was, this is what was happening...etc.

Weird, right? It's July... why am I dreaming about Christmas?

Must have been something I ate... which was leftovers from the night before...

PeacE

1 comment:

Rev Mother said...

very strange, indeed! We never had a lot of people at the house so it's interesting it was a lot of your friends from high school. :)