Tuesday, July 14

Feeling Accomplished

Monday was a busy day. Well, not so busy that I was doing stuff all day long.... but there were more things that needed to get done. And thankfully, done is what happened to them.

I finally got back to sleep around 5am, and slept til about 9. At which point I knew I needed to get up and make some calls. I was not looking forward to calling the IRS, in regards to an address update (if they would do it) and issues in regard to the economic relief payment. Two hours later, I am hanging up the phone, actually feeling somewhat impressed at the service I received. I anticipated the longer wait times. Thankfully not having a job makes that a bit easier to get done during regular business hours. I spoke to a total of three people. On hold for about 20-25 minutes. The first person stated they could only answer questions, but after my brief (as I could make it) situation, offered to transfer me to someone that would be able to assist me. Shock number one! I said thank you and okay.... On hold again for another 30 minutes. Second person comes on, I explain briefly again the problem. I'm guessing this person was similar in job capacity as the first, as she, too, had to transfer me to yet another person to assist me. I'm an hour in on this call, and though they are very polite and professional, I'm starting to feel like I am getting a run-around.

On hold for about another 40 minutes. Third person comes on, the story is explained, and he asks me to hold for five minutes. I'm thinking 'Great. Now I'm going to end up on forever hold and get disconnected'. But no, within a couple minutes he is back, and apologizing for putting me on hold. He had to get the right application pulled up in order to change my address. Whoa.... wasn't expecting that. There were the usual questions to verify who I am: SSN, DOB, Name.... same for spouse since filed jointly. The he wanted the Adjusted Gross income. Here came story number two. I lied. Yes, I lied to a Gov't official. I said since the change of address was because we moved, our tax filings were in storage and I did not have that info available. He says, no problem. I'm thinking -WHAT?!? This was the biggest issue about doing this all online because I didn't have that info!- He asks me a couple questions about my employer for that filing (name, approximate amount I made there) and asks me to hold again.

Now I know this is where something is going to happen. Disconnect. Be told they cannot help me. Still have not gotten the address updated. A couple minutes later he comes back on, asks if I have paper and pen - yes I do, and he proceeds to give me the AGI, the Taxable Income amt, and the refund amount we received that year. Basically, all the info I needed to fix everything online. I was in shock. Enough that I had to have him repeat what he had just said. He was asking for my new address so he could update the system. 

Whoa! Hit the brakes! I got all that info, AND we can fix the address? It's Christmas!!! So we proceeded to correct the address. He certified that yes, the initial check sent was returned to them instead of being forwarded to our new address. This is where I really almost lost it.... He tells me he has authorized the payment to be released again immediately now that the address has been corrected...BUT.... if I were to go online, and get to the spot where they had requested additional info (direct deposit info) before the day's end, the payment would come faster that way.

I've got this weird feeling feeling inside - not like butterflies in my stomach, but something. I thank him for his help, meaningfully. Mr. Mercer, you made my day today!!!

So of course I immediately get back online and enter our bank information (now that I have the AGI, etc) and that goes through. So.... hoping to have that payment in the bank within the week. Or sooner. Be nice if it were sooner. But either way, the call worked. Sometimes even I can be surprised about something.

The rest of the day was sort of downhill from there. Had a dental cleaning scheduled for 4pm. They called around noon, asking if I could come in at 3, due to a cancellation. Sure. Also when I went in, I had to correct the address with them, though we thought we had done this months ago. I wonder if they had to use some older backup for some reason and ended getting the old address in the system... Made it home by 4pm. Mellowed out doing some reading until the Wife got home. She was not feeling well (migraine) and it was late enough I knew I needed to figure out supper plans. I did the easy - went out and picked up pizza.

So yeah. A busy day for me. I'm still a bit amazed at how I was treated and how fast I was able to get things fixed with IRS on the phone. Though we all bitch about paying taxes, they were great in helping me out - especially considering I was getting money... not paying it.

PeacE

1 comment:

RevMom said...

YAY! Hope you get it within a few days. Really, the IRS - when you get the right people and you eventually did it sounds like - is very helpful. We've had to deal with them in the past on other issues, and they have really worked with making things right. Hopefully soon one of your posts will be YES! We got it!!