Monday, July 13

Sunday Night Blues

It is getting close to 1am here and yes, I am wide awake, yet mentally feel like I am going to fall over asleep any moment. That past few nights have been pretty sleepless, though sometimes I am able to get an hour nap (sometimes) in during the day. I conked out late this afternoon for a full two hours, and I wonder if that is why I feel so physically awake now. I don't know. I want it to end.

The Wife spent the evening working up our tax returns. We owe Federal. Sigh. I didn't ask about State, but I would not be surprised with the same result. We never have received the "stimulus" check that so many other shave received. I followed up on it back in June, and the info provided was it had been printed/mailed near the end of May. however, our address on our last return is not our current address. Luckily, we live only a half mile from that house, and it is still in our name (haven't sold it yet - another long story for another day). We check the mail there pretty much each day... waiting that check. The FAQs at IRS informed me I had to wait 6 weeks from the provided date to follow up about not receiving it. This last week I did that, and now the status says they need more information. Meaning, the check was returned instead of forwarded (my son's was forwarded here -why not ours?) and they need updated information.

This is where it starts killing me with the circles the bureaucracy makes us do. Keep in mind, this is mostly to just update an address to get the "stimulus" check sent.

To update my address with the IRS, I must fill out this form. Mail it (physically, with stamps) because I do not have an online account with the IRS. The stated process time to correct the address in their system is up to six months. The check won't be re-issued to the corrected address, until the check department actually does an update look to see if the address (or banking info) has been corrected/provided (trust me, that part is coming up yet). Six months. Sigh.

I tried to create an online account with the IRS, as it may be possible to correct the address online. To "verify" it is me, this particular tax payer with this SSN and address, they require the Adjusted Gross Income reported amount from the last year filed tax form. Just to create an account.

Shit hits the fan here. The Wife can't find our tax forms that we filed last year. She has no idea where they are, how they were packed or in what box/bag. With all the boxes/bags between both houses, and the hoarding she and the MIL have done.... we can't find them. I am banging my head against a wall. How do you not keep all your important paperwork, etc in a place you always know where they are? I have birth certs, title paperwork on the house, etc right here at my side. Why weren't the tax papers there? The Wife had them somewhere else. Turns out on some shelf, on a cabinet, in the front room, at the old house.... and when they cleared that cabinet off, she does not remember how she packed it, if she packed it..... So fucking pissed. I love my Wife. But sometimes this crap just makes me so angry.

So, in order to get a copy of last years filing, so I can have that info to create the account, to update our address, I need other information to "verify" it is me. A credit Card (don't have one). Mortgage Account number (they would not accept it when we tried). There were like 3 other options, things we did not have at all either. 

So without the Adjusted Gross Income, I cannot create an account, to update my address, to get the check that was sent already, but not forwarded, and not delivered to our old house (we check the mail daily). I read through almost every FAQ at IRS.gov and did find a number to have a transcript of last filing mailed to us (up to 10 days). I also found one that I may be able to update the address as well. however, there is that big worded warning on both, that due to the Covid, wait times will be long (longer than usual?) and in some cases may not be available at all.

Sigh. Just when things were starting to feel like they were coming out of this hole....

PeacE

No comments: