Monday, February 28

No Pain, No Gain? Huh?

My bed is old. More particularly, the mattress and box springs are old. Especially with my weight over the past few years, it is just wearing out. My side has a slight indention where I sleep, compared to the Wife's side. We have been talking of getting new ones, and are basically waiting for them to come on sale. California King Sizes aren't cheap, I found out.

What brings up the condition of my bed, is my back. I know over past posts, I have mentioned my back getting 'tweaked', and most of those are occurring at night, during sleep. I believe it is a combination of my weight, the support (or lack of) with the mattress/springs, and moving in my sleep/position changes. Needless to say, it just makes for some lower back pain when moving.shifting my legs for a day or so. Ibuprofen usually helps the most, and not moving. Well, Saturday morning I had woken and had some slight twinges going on. No major deal. I wrote it off to the usual causes, and added the bit of walking I did while shopping and stuff on Friday (my legs were feeling the exercise). Went to our birthday thing, no major problems.

Sunday morning, I went to sit up before rising from bed and knew it was a bit more than Saturday morning. Walking wasn't too much an issue, but shifting my legs, like adjusting your feet while sitting at a desk, would trigger a little spasm and nerve jolt. This morning, it is just as bad. So take some ibuprofen and don't aggravate it, I would normally think, then follow through with that idea. Unfortunately, we get the possibility of testing some of my pain thresholds. I say possibly, because it may not happen.

See, I send out a mass email to family and close friends each time I go to the doc, to let them know how I am doing. As many of you know, the encouragement and support helps one do better, or at least strive to do better. Anyways, Preacher Tom (PT), my step-dad, had responded when I mentioned I needed to do more exercise, but I was so out of shape, would have to do some walking to start anywhere. He suggested we begin walking of the mornings. Yeah, you can probably see where this is going.

This morning will be the first morning PT & I meet up to do a little walking. I say little, because I am so out of shape that I am not sure how much waling I can tolerate, between the 'out of shape', the sore back, the weight that makes the back and knees and hips hurt more, etc etc. So I think popping a couple ibuprofen (or maybe 3 or 4) right before I meet up, will help. And bring my cane. I am so dreading it. I need to do it for my health though. It helps he wants to do this with me - as PT hates to walk by himself as well. Kind of like, having support to push yourself a little more, and "be accountable" thing I guess. Though I am fighting my natural urge to call him and say "Not today, I tweaked my back in my sleep the other night, and don't think I can do it". Yeah, I can be a wimp sometimes.

Today I am fighting it though. Even if I only make it across the parking lot and back (that is ALMOST a joke - but it may turn out true today) it is a start. Like everyone else, I wish it was easy to get the gains (lose weight, work muscles, etc etc) and not suffer the pains (actually having to work at exercise, sore muscles, etc etc). Sigh. I got about an hour before we meet up for Walking: Day One.

Oldest son has the Honor Band concert tonight. They have been practicing Monday evenings for the past 2 months about it seems. He also is in the District Honor Band, which practice Tuesday nights, and their concert is in April. I am so proud he plays well enough to make these groups. The next year or two, the next son will be able to join band or orchestra, and pick what instrument he would like to learn. I am looking forward to a few years after that and the last of the kids picks his. That being, if the last 2 even decide for music. A post for later I think....

Have a good day. March starts tomorrow - will it be coming in like a lamb or a lion?

PeacE

1 comment:

Spockgirl said...

Walking is an excellent start.